Down and dirty 98 Jetta TDI electrical no start diag

Symptoms: Sat for two hours last night at -45F, went to start, NO glow = plug indicator. Cycle key again, glow plug lamp comes on for a second, = goes out. Engine starts hard, glow plug indicator flashes while running = then engine dies. Restarts, runs OK but a few stumbles causing warning = indicators to cycle a few time during driving enough to get me the 12 = miles home and drops dead in parking spot. No start this morning, no = glow plug indicator. Pulled relay 109, opened case, appears OK but I = have no meter to test it. Plugged in and confirmed visual movement of = contact. No glow plug indicator. Engine cranks.

Usually I would go through the usual sequence of diags, but it's sitting = outside at -40 right now which is no fun to work in and want the fastest = and most common things to look at, also, I am 360 miles from home and my = tools. Joy. TIA for any assistance.

-- TW Looking for his nuclear heated boots.

Reply to
Tundra Wookie

Either somebody stole my glow plug relay or else the wiring diagram is = wrong... again. According to book, relay in position 12 is either fuel = pump or glow plug and has control # 67, 80, 167, 102 or 104. No such = relay exists. It is possible to have kicked the relay out, but usually = the radio fuse goes first and I find it on the floor. The under dash = panel was intact, but the door is missing, so I usually don't have a = problem. More joy.