HELP With Changing Scirocco Heater Blower

Does anyone know of a fairly easy and less time-consuming way to change the heater blower motor (on a Scirocco) without having to remove the whole dash & centre console?

I need to replace mine but I'd rather do it without having to remove the dash & console.

Thanks a lot for any info.

Reply to
VW Rally Racer

the last A1 I did had A/C (different blower than non-A/C) and I could do it from the engine compartment. Not sure about the Scirocco though! later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave

I replaced the heater core in my 82 scirocco not too long ago. You do need to take the center console all the way out. You don't have to take the whole dash out. You will have to disconnect the heater core, so that means you'll have to drain the coolant out. Once you get the center console with the ashtray and stuff out, and the one below that out, you'll have to disconnect the heater core, then take out the four bolts around the blower motor in the rain tray. I cut all the black ties holding wires to the heater box thing, then I just started yanking on it until it came out. If you take the front seats out, it will make the whole process alot easier though. Good luck. Kurt

Reply to
Kurtis Daniels

You shouldn'thave to remove the entire dash. However, the center console will have to come out and it would be real helpful if you removed the "kneebar." And the front seats, too.

I'm pretty sure you can replace the fan motor once you get the air box out of the rain tray. Somebody out there correct me if I'm wrong.

Assuming the Scirocco is the same as other A1 cars...this is from memory so proceed with caution...remove the recirc flap box first. It's just a couple of sheet metal screws, I think. Now the rest of the air box in the rain tray has to come out. It is held in with a three or four fasteners of various types. Some are obvious from the outside, but there are also several that must be accessed from under the dash. This is the tricky part because they are small and hard to get to. This is why you want the knee bar out. Removing the knee bar is not that difficult although you do have to detach the computer bracket and deal with the cigarette lighter wire (I cut it and put a connector in the line when I replaced it). Another tricky bit is getting the big rubber grommet around the wires in/out. I hope this helps.

Bill

78 Rabbit...10/77 - 4/02 82 Convertibles(s)...since 93 95 Golf GL...since 11/99 02 Passat 1.8T Tip GLS...since 4/02 (Remove the CAT to email me)
Reply to
William Maslin

On the various A1 that I owned (Rabbit/Golf I) I used to replace the heater blower motor from the "outside", from under the hood. There is an exact location where the motor assembly will slide just right between the rain tray and the wiper panel.

Martin

William Masl>>

Reply to
Martin Boulerice

Thanks for the great feedback - I'll be tackling my blower motor this coming week. I'll post afterwards so until then.

Reply to
VW Rally Racer

Thanks to those of you who replied to my query. I finally replaced the blower motor and it was easier than I thought, although I ended up removing most of my dash as well.

That's okay - I was rewiring a bunch of things so it worked out well. The new (previously enjoyed, actually) blower motor works like a charm.

Reply to
VW Rally Racer