passat B4 heater box

Hi all-

THe heater/AC in my 96 passat wagon isn't what it ought to be. It gently blows warm air on us when in the off position, and the AC never gets really cold in the summer, though the refrigerant pressure is fine. It's been spitting pieces of foam at me for a year, so I'm figuring I need to rebuild the flap on the heater box.

My big question is if I need to completely remove the dash to get access to that part of the heater box. If not, what's the least that I can get away with? If I have to pull out the whole shebang, I'll replace the heater core while I'm there, but since it isn't leaking I'd just as soon leave it for now.

Other comments on this job?

Thanks for any help- Chris

Reply to
starburst

Yes the console and dash need to come out, there's no other way to do it. I can tell you I can do the repair in under 5 hours. So for the DIYer figure about 10 hours... maybe more.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Got some pictures of a heater core job on a 93 Passat here

Like Woodchuck said..........it takes time and it ain't pretty! lol Definitely NOT for the faint at heart. You can always take some good digital pictures as you do the job which should aid you in putting things back together. ;-)

Reply to
One out of many daves