Tires for my 2000 Cabrio

Hello All, It is getting close to time for me to buy new tires. My cabrio came with BFGoodwrench Comp T/A tires. They have had a nice ride and good handling for what I do. Should I just stick with those? Anyone else have any recommendations? How are GoodYear tires?

Thanks

-Ryan

Reply to
Ryan

I've never cared for Good Year at all, but some people like them.

I'm running Dunlop SP8000 Sports on my '91 GTI for the second time right now and they're amazing. They stick like glue and almost never squeal. They're also the first tire I've had on the car that did a goob job of resisting hydroplaning in the rain. The only downsize is they're a little faster wearing than other tires I've had (my guess is softer rubber which is why they stick so well, but wears faster). I got about 25-30K miles out of the last set of SP8000s where I'm used to 35-40K or even a little more.

Michelins also never disappoint either, but they're pretty pricey.

Reply to
Matt B.

If you like the BFGs, I'd stick with 'em. Why risk dissatisfaction with tires that someone else has rated on parameters which may be unimportant to you?

sd

Reply to
sd

The ratings at

are a good place to start for any car.

dv

Reply to
Drew Volpe

If you like the tires, and they are not unreasonably expensive, then why not get the same tires? Of course, if they are unreasonably expensive, then you may want to shop around to see if a comparable or better tire that costs less is available.

Each brand of tire has many models with different characteristics; some tires emphasize sporty characteristics like handling and braking (that are also important for safety), while others emphasize comfort and/or long tread life. And there are also winter tires for better traction on snow and/or ice (but typically worse and quicker to wear out in non-winter conditions than summer or all-season tires).

tirerack.com and 1010tires.com have customer survey results for many of the tires that they sell. Consumer Reports magazine had a tire comparison in the November issue (found in many libraries).

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee