1988 S10 Blazer Service Engine Light is off failed emissions due to light being off w/key in run

I just had a smog test done and passed with 10% of allowed or less on all tests, but failed due to the service engine light not coming on with the key in the run position w/ car not running. I pulled the dash (very brittle and have to get creative to get the AC controls back in) and the light for the check engine is fine, tested it in another hole. Is this light required? The check gages light is on with the key in the run position but goes out upon starting. HELP

Reply to
Kevin Petit

Yes the light is required in states that do smog testing. If the light doesn't work how will the vehicle tell you there is a problem?

What I would do is use a wire to short the terminals that will cause the light to blink and show you the codes. See if it comes on then. If not then probably the problem is in the wiring to the dash.

Reply to
Steve W.