2000 chevy 2500 ext xtd cab lng bd 454

I'm considering buying a 2000 chevy 2500 4x4 ext cab lng bd with

100,000 miles for $10,000. I'm pretty sure it has a 7.4 454 vortek engine. I landscape and plow. I need an 8 ft. bed. I frequently pull a 5,000lb. load. I don't care about gas mileage because I only use the truck for local work and I don't travel far distances. I have read posts where people claim the get-up on a 454 will snap your neck. I test drove the vehicle. Unfortunately the salesman was with me. I wasn't able to play around, but when I pulled out of the lot it only felt like a regular powered truck. I suppose I was trying to be poIite in front of the salesman which kept me from stomping on it as we left the lot to test out what it's got. As we went onto the highway I gave it some luvin' and noticed some rapid acceleration but it was almost too smooth. I was expecting to be thrown into the back of my seat. I own a Dodge 2500 reg cab 4x4 lng bd 5.9 360 and when I step on the gas, I don't mean stomp on it, but liberally apply pressure to the pedal I can feel a sudden presence of power, rapid sinking into the seat best describes it. If I stomp it at a dead stop my tires are easily spinning. Does any body own a vehicle similar to the chevy that would like to comment on the amount of power I should notice out of a 7.4 454, or if there are any typical problems with this truck or engine. By The Way:::My Dodge has plenty of power/no trailer- but with trailer (5000 lbs.) the truck will sway at speeds over 45mph, has trouble going up steep hills, and horrible braking. Maybe I should drive my trailer loaded down to the dealer and test drive pulling a heavy load. My mechanic claims chevy to be a safe bet. He also spits on anything but chevy. I have no preference. I'm open minded. I just want to know I'm putting $10,000 to good use. Any help or advice would be great. Thanks.
Reply to
lucascjcabe

The 454 is a good engine and known for its smoothness too. When comparing trucks remember that the truck you drove weighs a lot more too and also the axle ratio plays a roll here. (look in glove box at option codes and see if there is a GT4 or a 3.73 or a GT5 for a 4.10 with GT5 being the best for your needs) On performance, GM has a really good knock control system on the Vortec 454 and if you feed it

87 you will find performance lacking at times even though you do not here any knock because ECM will quell it before you hear and that motor really needs at least 89 octane to do its best. As far as towing, the 454 can be a beast here and has few peers in the gas powered world. A 5k trailer would be nothing for it. As a side note, I have a 2000 K3500 SRW truck reg cab that I have plowed snow with since it was new.it is not a daily driver and only has 38K on it now. It has a 350 and 4.10 gears with stock tires and it does not lack power and a 5K trailer is not big deal for it pulling it or stabilty wise (I have pulled over 13k a few times with it). My MPG is about 13 in town in warmer months in a urban setting and 16 or a bit more on highway. During winter when loaded with a heavy plow and a few thousand pounds of salt I average about 9 MPG give or take. With a 454 figure on a few MPG less under same conditions. BTW, I do not use 87 octane in it even when it is 3 bucks a gallon because it runs much better overall if I feed it at least 89 octane.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

If it has A GT4 is it still a monster? Is there a huge noticible difference between the 3.73 and 4.10?

Reply to
lucascjcabe