Windshield wipers start occasionally while switched off.

For about the past 6 months the windshield wipers on my 1999 Taurus will come on, make one or two passes and then stay off. There is no way to control this as they are switched off.

It was the worst tonight. It did this 4 times in the first hour and then no problems for the next two hours.

Anybody else ever had this problem? If so, what was done to fix it?

Thanks for any imput.

Reply to
bernsax

This was a problem on these and other Ford products for a long time. The fix was to replace the multi function switch and/or the GEM module depending on the year and model. There are a number of TSBs addressing this concern. Check with your dealer. Unfortunately your car is out of warranty and TSBs aren't Recalls. The switch is roughly $100 and the GEM is, I'm guessing, ~$250. A replacement GEM needs to be programmed after installation.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

According to Ford, this is a "functionality" and is not a defect.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

..... windshield wipers on my 1999 Taurus come on, make one or two passes and then stay off. There is no way to control this as they are switched off. .....tonight did this 4 times in the first hour and then no problems for the next two hours.

Thanks for any input. _______________________________________________________

The windshield wiper motor may contain a defective parking switch.

If the parking switch is stuck open, the wipers will stop wherever they are when the multifunction switch is turned off.

If the parking switch is stuck closed, the wipers will operate continuously even if the multifunction switch is off.

If the parking switch is intermittent. the wipers could come on at random and stop at random even if the multifunction switch is off.

OR, the problem may be in the multifunction switch.

Good luck.

Reply to
Rodan

Windshield wipers start occasionally while switched off. Group: alt.autos.ford Date: Sun, Feb 19, 2006, 9:41pm From: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (bernsax) For about the past 6 months the windshield wipers on my 1999 Taurus will come on, make one or two passes and then stay off. There is no way to control this as they are switched off. It was the worst tonight. It did this 4 times in the first hour and then no problems for the next two hours. Anybody else ever had this problem? If so, what was done to fix it? Thanks for any imput.

Reply to
Eric Toline

Sounds like a typical multifunction switch problem. Mine is not as bad: sometimes when I've got the wipers on, in slow speed, they'll switch to intermittent by themselves. Sometimes it stays like that, sometimes just for a couple of wipes and then back to normal. Fiddling with the switch through all the positions seems to help for a while. If you need to change out the switch, it's a pretty simple job.

Reply to
Jimbo