Fluid Capacity Allison 1000

Does anyone know the transmission fluid capacity for the Allison 1000 tranny on a 2004 Silverado 2500HD? I couldn't find this info anywhere in the owner's manual or on Chevy's website.

Thanks - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Race

Does anyone know the transmission fluid capacity for the Allison 1000 tranny> on a 2004 Silverado 2500HD? I couldn't find this info anywhere in the> owner's manual or on Chevy's website.>

Reply to
Remo

Here's a site you might be interested in, lots of Chevy talk.

Paul

Reply to
Paul in Redland

Thanks very much. Now I just have to determine if I have the standard deep pan or the optional shallow pan. Any idea? I still can't find anything from either Chevy or GM that has the capacity.

I will say that the total amount of fluid (15 quarts!) did take me somewhat by surprise. I will be changing to synthetic ATF once I hit 15,000 miles in a month or two.

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Race

Same thing here, my '83 TH700R4 takes 11. However about 5 quarts remains in the internals of the transmission (TH700R4!!! - your mileage may differ), so you don't need the full 15 quarts. Our resident transmission guru gets on every couple days and may have run into the alison and knows how much is needed for a drain & fill. He's an independent shop, so he may not of run into any of those yet (rather new IIRC).

GMC Gremlin

> Transmissions >> > Jonathan Race wrote:> > > Does anyone know the transmission fluid capacity for the Allison 1000> tranny

Reply to
GMC Gremlin