Newbie with a Suburban.....an intro.

Hello all. I just bought an '89 Chev Suburban.....trying to prep it for a safety, and for an emissions test. I thought I'd check things out at this newsgroup. The truck is a 1500 4X4, quite a few miles (290,000 km). It's a little rough; but quite straight and not much rust. I don't plan to make it overly pretty; but to concentrate on making it very functional. It's not my first Suburban, I sold one about 10 years ago (it had over 500,000 km on it then, and it's still going!) Anyway, hi to everyone. I'll probably post some dumb questions. Oh, the "stude-ious" name: I have a Studebaker project, and I'm also registered on the talkaboutautos Studebaker newsgroup, and the handle has followed me over to this group.

Reply to
stude-ious

RE/

Thanks for validating my current aim of trying to wring 250,000 miles out of my '98. (currently 110k...)

Reply to
(Pete Cresswell)

Welcome aboard bud!

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Also Sprach stude-ious :

Welcome.. I've got an '88 Suburban 2500 4x4, great trucks. Mine is in excellent shape, yet hideously ugly due to the horrible light tan paint that the factory used. Just watch out for rust starting in the lower edges of the barn doors! (if you have them instead of the tailgate)

Dan

Reply to
Marshall Banana

Dan, Doc, Pete; Thanks for the welcome. Dan, no it doesn't have barn doors...sure wish it did; I've spent half the afternoon trying to get the tailgate window to work; I'll post a question on that. I'd like to retrofit it with barn doors; I can buy the doors from a neighbor, but it looks like I'd probably need a donor Suburban to supply the proper "door frame". Keith.

Reply to
stude-ious

well, hell, pull up a chair, pop a brew, and sit back and enjoy

we've got it all here.............K&N wars, bigger-injector wars, the works

TS

Reply to
TranSurgeon

Don't forget drum brake wars, one of my personal fav's. ;-)

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

you want 'war', google 'torque wrench click beam' on alt.autos.dodge.trucks

It started out as a question of what was the better wrench, the old-style 'beam and pointer' or the click-when-torque-is-reached type

It got outa hand pretty quick

Reply to
TranSurgeon

or same group.....'K&N'................