Re: Is there such a thing as a 4x4 estate with an Autobox that works?

Apparently the audi CVT box is imcompatible with quattro, so none of

> them will exist. The only other 4x4 estate I can think of other than > the old Merc 4matics is an Impreza or Legacy. I doubt either of them > came with an auto, or a huge amount of in gear flexibility given that > they're turbocharged.

Legacy Autos exist - one on trader at the moment 1997R 2.5 89k miles £1995

Plenty of imported Imprezas, as JDM prefer autos anyway.

Ford Galaxy - MPV not an estate but they did some 4x4 autos

And the Galant VR4 of course!

... a descant soul in the setting sun ...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

If you like sub-20mpg fuel consumption....

Hmmm, if that's a Ford box, I'd run a mile.

I like those.

Reply to
SteveH

Aren't they stupidly high maintenance? I'm not having anything that's not a car, so no MPVs, no 4x4s etc.

Reply to
Doki

So you want a none 4x4 4x4?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Heh.

I think he means he wants an AWD Auto Estate.

Reply to
SteveH

Legacy gets my vote then!

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

The V5 for my 4xFord describes it as a station wagon, so I suppose technically that makes is an auto 4x4 estate. Along with all the other Fuck Off Big 4x4s.

Oh, and you can add a Scooby Forester to that list above. The turbo is a pretty decent vehicle.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Do you tie one leg behind your back for every arse-kicking contest?

Reply to
Steve Firth

Octavia 1.8T 4x4 estate must surely be worth a look...?

Reply to
Iridium

Crap.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

It is all matter of Zen.

Look to the Horizon, but seek not the Skyline.

Elder

Why do I like that?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

It is the evil grandad in us all. Looks like it should be for going to church Sundays, but will drive a little like an f1 car.

Reply to
Elder

What about this then?

Looks like a slightly large sporty hatchback like the Civic type R, but is infact a 5 seater 4x4 auto turbo mini-MPV. The last of the GT4's and the last use of the 3S-GTE lump(Fensport can get 600BHP out of a 3S- GTE).

Reply to
Elder

AFAIK the 3S-GTE engine is a 2 litre Yamaha designed lump. The Nissan Stagea engine is listed as 2.5 litres. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Carl's saying the Toyota Caldina in the second link has a 3S-GTE, not the Stagea in the 1st link.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Ah. I missed the second link. The Stagea looks quite low key and has a functional design. I could live with that. I can't say the same about the Caldina though. Looks like it was designed by a committee. Neither sports car or functional looking MPV. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

I'd rather not have a turbo charged car TBH, but if I have to have one (and nobody seems to make 3 or 4 litre estates that I like), then I reckon Subaru would be the way to go. I've seen the prices of the parts for some of these JDM cars. Shit. I've seen the prices of Japanese parts in general. Are Scoobies as horrific as the rest? I could quite fancy an E30 touring now I think of it :D.

Reply to
Doki

You've had one haven't you? What's the servicing regime like?

Reply to
Doki

My dad had a non-turbo automatic Impreza.

He was getting around just over 20mpg using it to potter around to the shops and stuff.

Around 28-30mpg if you threw in longer runs on A-roads.

The best he got was mid-30s on the motorway in light traffic at

75-80mph.

Not good, especially as that was the non-turbo variety.

Reply to
SteveH