Off Topic and VERY moving!!!

>Columbine update

Reply to
Shades

Shades,

I don't think I have your email address anymore. Drop me a line at snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net when you get a chance.

Snowman

penetrating,

Reply to
Snowman

Yeah Jebus will solve everything.

What utter bullshit. The root cause of the Columbine incident was piss-poor parenting, NOT anything having to do with any religious sect.

Reply to
burntkat IS AT comcast.net

There wasn't any reference to a religious sect! It is referring to the worlds path away from God!

Reply to
Shades

I don't know Jebus.

Your comment shows, however, how unaware you are of what is going on around you.

Snowman

Reply to
Snowman

I hear what you're saying, but I still think they are over-simplifying the issue.

Sorry, there's times to put things to fate or higher power, and there's times to realize the problem and take active measures to correct it.

Parents need to start parenting. Simple enough.

My mention of the phrase "religious sect" was to cover all bases-- since as you observed, no particular sect is mentioned.

- and besides-- WHICH God is it that we're missing?

Reply to
burntkat

No- my comment shows how narrow-minded the Christian majority is of other viewpoints.

Put simply: you dismiss my comments out of hand, since I'm not a "true believer" of the supposed "one true way".

- I don't dismiss your viewpoint- merely explained the REAL issue at hand here. Praying to some mystical invisible man upstairs isn't going to fix what could have been fixed by parents doing their job. Namely, the parents of the two fuckwits who perpetrated the incident.

No amount of praying is going to substitute for guiding and shaping young people.

After all-- to borrow a paraphrasd quote from your own Bible: "God helps those who help themselves". Note the subtext: he's NOT going to help you if you sit around waiting for him to do all the work.

Reply to
burntkat IS AT comcast.net

By the way, my comment to your response was not intended as a slam against you, burntkat, so I hope it doesn't get taken as one. There is so much desensitizing in the media that society has lost it's foundation for right and wrong. The standards have been tossed aside, to where anyone can judge right and wrong according to their own selves.

Shades, good article, in my opinion.

Snowman

worlds path away from God!

message

Reply to
Snowman

Sorry BK, but that quote does not appear in the bible. However "spare the rod and spoil the child" certainly is ;)

Reply to
JR

whoops... ...feathers ruffled, so the point got missed.

My friend, I will take a stand, though. DO NOT discount the power of prayer. Prayer isn't about "me" and most folks don't understand this. I am a living testimony that there is more power in prayer, though, than you may ever know. January 3rd, I fell from a gooseneck trailer, spent the next few days in ICU, had exploratory surgery on the 6th and lost a kidney. I was home on the 9th after being told I'd be there at least a week afterward. I was healing faster than they thought I could. I was told I may be able to think about working in 6-8 weeks. On the 20th, I was back to work. That's this January 2004. This weekend, I washed both my trucks because I COULD. There were more people praying for me across this old planet than I can think and it shows. Prayer is much more than surface deep and it takes study and diligence to understand it's significance.

My point is that if you want a religious debate, then go jack up someone that's religious. I'm not into religion because religion sucks. Religious people are the ones causing most of the trouble in the world. In fact, if you want to get right down to it, the religious people are the ones that exclaimed "crucify Him."

Now, if you want to talk about a relationship where you can walk right up and lay your burdens at His feet, be forgiven (not perfect, just forgiven) then drop me a line. I'll talk with you about a life that is so full that you will never know what happened to you. I was once where you are and I understand, totally, what you are saying and respect it. Do I say these things at risk of losing respect of those in this group? Sure, because most back away from someone that will say the "J" word. But at what cost? If you're willing to talk about it, then we'll put it on the table. No one's gonna do anything but give you a choice.

Man, this is WAY off topic. Good stuff, though.

Snowman

message

Reply to
Snowman

I made this post because there are many out there that feel as I do. I do not fault others for their beliefs. Most haven't been given a choice. I was raised a Christian, rejected it whole heartedly in my early teen years(and that is an understatement), and only recently(past 2+ yrs) have found my way back to the 'path'! I have entertained many religions, beliefs, what-have-you in my 34 years of life. I didn't go to God, he came to me and pulled me from the depths that threatened to drown me. I AM a believer in the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit! I am more than willing to listen openly and honestly to your testimony against my beliefs or for other beliefs, but only if you will return the same respect and listen to my testimony! I am not perfect, never claimed to be! I am not always right, not even usually right! I do not have all the answers, actually hundreds of times more questions than answers! I stumble and fall far more times than I stand tall, though that ratio is leaning more towards standing tall! My mistakes are many, as are my fears, worries, etc, etc... What I am trying to say is to fight human nature, DO NOT fear what you don't understand! DO NOT try to destroy what you don't understand! The 'you' in those two lines was not in any way directed to and one person or group of people!

YES, Parenting needs to be removed from the courts control and placed back into the hands of the Parent. BUT, Parenting is NOT television! Parenting is NOT beating your Child into submission! Parenting is NOT molding your Child into what you want them to be! Parenting is NOT giving your Child everything you never had! I see Parenting as a joint learning experience, for the Father, Mother, and Child! Your Child might be 3,

14, 21, or older, you can still learn as much from them as they can and have learned from you. There is no manual to be the perfect Parent, but there is Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth...B.I.B.L.E...

I might have opened some Minds and Hearts, I might have opened some cans of worms. Either way, most of you are thinking...that is always good!!!

"Shades" wrote in message news:bvcrnn$n7q$ snipped-for-privacy@news.netins.net... | >>Columbine update | >>

> [...]

| >>Do what the media did not - - let the nation hear this man's speech. | >>Please send this out. | >>

| | | | |

Reply to
Shades

Again- don't get me wrong, I understand where you're coming from. However, the immediate solution to the problem is proper parenting.

Perhaps one should pray for these idiots having children to start parenting insted of just letting the children run their own lives? ;)

You and I agree about 98% here, you just don't understand ;)

Reply to
burntkat IS AT comcast.net

Can't you people take this discussion, argument, opinions to one of the other 5,000 religious, parenting, etc.. whatever newsgroups out there?? Really now, this is an automotive newsgroup, otherwise you'll get others out here wanting to discuss the finer points of Janet Jackson's wardrobe choices also... Man!

Reply to
duh

At the head of this, it said "Off Topic." Shades did right in doing so. Occasionally, it's good to get on other routes with folks who have common interests, though. We're all adults, here and can handle ourselves fine. We're having a good discussion, here. If it says off topic, then bypass it if you choose :-)

Snowman

message

Reply to
Snowman

WHEW!!! I wasn't going to respond to this but I had to put my two cents in. I've been an athiest, an agnostic and a christian and I can tell you the Christian part actually works. I base my opinion on two things. The first is personal experience. I was lying in a burn unit years ago with little chance of survival and I had what one would call a "religious expeience" but failed to recognize it until almost 23 years later - it was significant. I can tell you that after this happened, my condition improved significantly very quickly.

The second was when I did research and discovered that people that used prayer or were prayed for by others (even without their knowledge) faired better and healed faster than those who did not pray or were not prayed for. That being said, I shuld mention that I'm not a religious zealot and I have a different view of some of the events mentioned in the bible than most people. Nuf said. Rich B

Reply to
Rich B

"burntkat IS AT comcast.net" wrote

Organized religion doesn't have a monopoly on the type of behaviour you are describing. You rightly say "the human condition is the problem in the equation". The big problem is that organized religions claims are often so high, that the hypocrisy is very obvious. But really, religious or non-religious...the vast majority of us are very hypocritical.

What hypocrisy can't change is whether the message of a particular religion (which may be from "outside" the human condition) is true or not. The followers often are very poor examples of what was originally intended...but in Christianity, if you understand the theology of it....this is really to be expected and should hardly be considered abnormal.

Reply to
shiden_Kai

good points, Ian!

Snowman