weird windshield washer

97 Chevy 1/2 ton. Windshield washer sprays, but spray doesn't come out with enough force to reach the windshield. Blew out the lines with the compressor. Checked the washer spary nozzles (clear). Blew backwards through the line to make sure no restrictions. Checked the pump (OK). Replaced the pump, just in case. Fresh fluid in tank.

Damn thing still doesn't spray right.

Any ideas what I'm missing?

Thanks

Dave

Reply to
Dave

My .02 is that there's either a bad ground or resistance somewhere not letting the full 12v get to the motor. Did you check the voltage at the motor with a meter?

HTH,

Derek

Reply to
genius

Did that today. Getting 13.6 volts with good ground and no drop. Driving me crazy to the point I'm guess I'll just find another inline pump motor to install.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Did you check the tank for crud on the bottom? Might be plugging the suction line when pump runs.

Randy

Reply to
Randal O'Brian

Yeah, I checked that too. I have pretty good flow, the fluid will squirt about 8" out of the line but not good pressure through the line. Thought a new pump would fix it, but it's exactly the same. I'm stumped.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Replace what you haven't replaced yet.

Reply to
nonsense

The same techniques for finding a electrical problem apply to this type of fluid flow problem. You know you have good pressure at the pump. Move on down line. Beyond the pump there is a coulple dollars worth of line, maybe a couple fittings and then the spray nozzles. Hook the line back to the pump and move to the next connection. Check for pressure(voltage if you are checking electrical) Process of elimination. But for the money you would probably be better off just to replace the lines all the way to the spray nozzles. Use only windshield washer fluid. In the summer some people try to use soap and water which do not protect against corrosion in the system. A little piece of rust in the line can cause havoc. Do not use glass cleaner ever. Amonia will degrade the rubber lines. A flake of rubber will plug you up.

Reply to
David & Robin Johnson

Reply to
James and Jenn