2002 MDX brake lockup

I recently bought a used 2002 MDX with 58K miles on it. Everything looks good til today. After driving the car 1/2 miles from my garage, coming close to a traffic light, the car's parking light, battery light and oil light all come up at the same time on the dashboard. The brake is applied without my foot stepping on it, the engine is still working at that moment, I tried to steer to the right lane by applying the gas, the steering wheel feels stiffer than normal, and the tension increases as it goes.

After coming to a full stop, I restarted the car, the problem goes away. I continue my trip for another 30 miles stop and go, everything works as normally.

Anyone seen this before? Any idea what could be causing this? Your help appreciated.

Reply to
wingineering

I had a really old Volvo that did the 'automatic brakes' trick, but that was because the valve in the booster stuck from time to time. Yours sounds more like the traction control is getting some scrambled info and applying a brake. If it's the kind you can disable with a switch, find out how to do it just in case. The scrambled info could be generated by a loose connection somewhere or maybe just a noisy alternator (I saw an Odyssey TSB about that). For now, I'd disconnect the battery for a minute and see if the 'ghosts' go away. If the CHECK ENGINE light is staying on, get the code read before resetting anything.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

A long shot (and people familiar with me must think I'm being a "broken record" about this): check the engine ground, including tightness at both ends. I say this because it is legendary for causing the screwiest symptoms and is easy to check.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee