Oil Leak 1989 Legend

Group;

I have a bad oil leak on my engine. It's around the oil filter. It is worst when the oil level is full, not when oil has leaked away.

My mechanic is "sick" of this car (I've had it 15 years) and did a cursory look; he thought it would be a main seal. I have the silver shop manual and I see some small oil tubes running around.

Has anyone had this problem and fixed it?

I replaced the PCV valve but that didn't help (there is only one PCV isn't there?).

Thanks

Doug

Reply to
Doug Holtz NOSPAM in adress

If you haven't changed the oil filter since the leak appeared (not sure how recent that was) that is an obvious start. They operate under pressure and the gasket can fail to seal perfectly. When the filter is off, wipe the mating surface on the block and feel it with your fingers - it should be smooth... no bumps or pits.

Once the new filter is in place, clean the oil away. My favorite for that is Simple Green, because it doesn't leave an oily film like Gunk does. Just spraying the area, then hosing it off should do the job. Take the car for a short drive and look for the source of the leak - maybe it will be gone :-)

Don't know about your engine, but the oil pressure sender is right above the filter on a lot of Hondas. They can be a challenge to get loose (that boot really holds onto the sender) but otherwise easy to replace after you get the filter out of the way. Many new ones require a special socket, though.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

There is a rubber o-ring behind the adapter for the oil filter. It is between the block and the cooler. It is very prone to leak due to age. The o-ring is shaped like a figure 8. The coolant hoses that are attached to the cooler are usually very brittle and will need replaced when you take off the cooler. Kind of a PIA!! Good luck

David Short Acura God

Reply to
Acura God

David;

Thanks for this info.

I will check it out ... somehow.

Doug

Reply to
Doug Holtz NOSPAM in adress

Michael;

This has been going on for over a year. It's not my filter. I had the mechanic take a look at it when he did my brakes this spring.

I'll check the oil pressure gauge area.

Thanks for the tip on Simple Green. I hate trying to remove oil. As it is, I smell it burning as I drive. :(

Doug

Reply to
Doug Holtz NOSPAM in adress