Opinions on 30,000 Mile Maintenance - 2003 MDX

I'm scheduled for my 30k maintenance, which will cost me ~$500.00. I looked on the Acura website and this is basically for changing the oil, transaxle fluid and air filter-- everything else is just "checking."

This is ridiculous in my opinion.

Question- this is the first car that I've leased. My lease expires this July (I plan on leasing another MDX- I love the car). Does the dealer hit you with extra costs at lease expiration if you don't do all of the scheduled maintenances? I've done the ones previous, but $500 seems excessive for what they're actually doing. I've always changed the oil in truck religiously and it runs great.

Opinions welcome. Thanks in advance. DL

Reply to
visanic

Dealer packaged service deals are generally a huge rip-off. Get them to price the individual tasks and see what it adds up to.

Unless there is a specific clause in the lease that requires all services to be performed by the dealer (highly unlikely), you can do it yourself or have the work done anywhere you choose. Just save the receipts in case you have to prove it.

30k is not a major service interval on these things. Look in your owners manual/service schedule and see if there is actually anything due.
Reply to
E Meyer

The easiest thing to do is to perform the work yourself.

-------------- Alex

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez

One reason for the rip-off price is that the dealer adds extra unecessary tasks to the package. That is why you should not just ask for the 30k mile service.

Many people don't even open the book. That is why dealers can pull these scams. Best bet is to only do what is recommended in the service schedule.

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez

The 30k mile service on our Pilot ran right at $300.00, which included servicing the VT4 all wheel drive system. Of course, you pay more for Acura service because it is an Acura.

Reply to
TWW