always go to the dealer?

my leased 2007 prius is about ready for its first 5,000 mile checkup. should i take it to the dealer, or is it ok to shop around?

Reply to
Gabe

The dealer knows your car better than any independent shop can, however, it is OK to shop around.

Reply to
Ray O

Does the lease contract require that you take it to the dealer? If not, just be sure you keep receipts for every damned thing, and wherever you end up, make sure they stand in one place and look the the maintenance schedule with you.

And, don't take it to any of the places where stupid people go, like Jiffy Lube, etc. Ask friends & co-workers if they have an independent mechanic they've like over the years.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

What does your lease contract say?

Be sure that you do what is in the Prius Passport to Performance (scheduled maintenance guide). For the US, you can view that at:

If you decide to go to a dealer, call around to a couple of dealers in your area first. Pricing can vary widely for the same service at different dealerships, or some dealers like to pad services with unnecessary maintenance at your cost. Be sure to just ask for the needed items in the scheduled maintenance guide (usually just an oil/ filter change and tire rotation every 6 months/5000 miles in the US), and not for the X-mile service, as it is when you ask for the X-mile services that dealers usually pad things in...

Also, if you are going to a dealer, check your postal mail for discount coupons (such as from the dealer you leased from). Be sure to check the dealer's web site for printable service/parts coupons as well. (I always get about $5 off an oil change this way for my 2001 Prius. I do the tire rotations myself at home.)

If your lease document doesn't stipulate (and you're in the US), you can go to any garage or even DIY if you wish. Just keep receipts with date/mileage on them.

For some DIY info: As there's no tools required, I suggest that everyone do the cabin air filter and engine air filter changes themselves to save on dealer labor charges and to be sure that the filter change is actually done. Some people do rotate their tires themselves, and the oil changes are often considered easy compared to other cars.

the first 3-4 photos of
get you through the OEM Toyota filter change

BTW: in case you weren't aware, leased Prius do not qualify for the US Federal income tax credit. (well, the leasing company gets the credit, not you...)

Reply to
mrv