10W 60 Synthetic oil

General question although the car is OT. My son has a new M Series BMW and is in Germany. The dealer charged him 240 Euro for the oil during the oil change. I need to know if there is any other source for the oil at a cheaper price. In Fl. a dealer charged us $130 for 12 Qt case which he took back to Germany after Thanksgiving holidays. Castrol website doesn't even mention it except on their UK pages. There they refer to it as CASTROL EDGE 10W-60 Oil. I read also BMW may be using Mobil Synthetic as a replacement in the future but no word from BMW yet. Anyone useing this or similar oil? Any ideas where to get it? Thanks

Reply to
Phantom

wrote

Yeah, so wouldn't it make more sense o ask on alt.autos.bmw?

This oil was also known as Castrol TWS Motorsport 10w-60. Type in "tws

10w-60" in google.de - you'll find lots of sources. This is the first hit:
Pete
Reply to
Pete

Try looking at Veedol

or Aral
- they are all the same company with the same products, just different branding for different markets.

Castrol Formula RS Performance & Protection 10W60 fully synthetic ester, API: SL/CF, ACEA: A3, B3, B4 (this has been replaced by Castrol EDGE Sport 10W60) - these are for older perfomance and modified cars - not to be confused with Castrol EDGE 10W60 (no "sport" - this is the proper stuff for M series BMWs from m/y2000)

Don't know if any of these are M series BMW approved, but have a look at: Agip Racing 10W60 fully synthetic Sunoco Synturo Racing 10W60 synthetic Valvoline Racing 10W60 synthetic

I'd be very careful about what oil he tips into his new motor - European manufacturers are know to do oil analysis for any engine related warranty repairs.

Rgds Sean

Reply to
LeakiestWink

Another snide remark from a "Polack". Go pee on yourself Mr. Peetee

Reply to
Tony

"Tony" wrote

Sure, let's resort to name calling and racial slurs...

What was so wrong in my suggestion to check with the bmw guys who use this type of oil more often than audi guys do? Apart from that, I also provided him with a source of this oil in Germany. Sue me.

Pete

Reply to
Pete

"Tony" wrote

O yeah, we also met at one of the local audi meets at Reston Town Center back in 2002 or 3. Maybe you can save the rest of your complements until next time we meet, so that you can tell it to my face.

Pete

Reply to
Pete

and then it'll be handbags at 20 paces bouyyyssssss.

Reply to
Lez Pawl

Pete, is that you?; now I remember. You were very helpful to me when I was looking for some Audi enthusiasts in Virginia.

1) My apologies for the remark. I guess I should not attempt to write when I'm under a nasty cold episode and popping lots of Antihistamine pills!. 2) let me explain why I was upset about your comment. I noticed in recent years that some people (not you) are consistent in attacking other people if they did not think the question is posted to the appropriate NG (and this happens far more regularly from Europe). How come you're using a news portal from pl?.

Again, my apologies

Tony

Reply to
Tony

"Tony" wrote

No prob. We all have our moods now and then. I admit that my responses can be a bit blunt sometimes.

I'm active on some Polish newsgroups, and some of the US news servers don't seem to have full coverage of them (some of the posts are missing). On top of that, I was in PL from 2003 to 2005 and just didn't bother to switch to a different news server since my return. :)

Accepted. Happy Holidays!

Pete

Reply to
Pete

now they are blowing smoke up each others exhaust pipes...............you 2 will have us in tears soon.

Reply to
Lez Pawl

Reply to
Phantom

An ironic comment from a top-poster.

Searching for BMW oil on an Audi newsgroup, and a top-poster to boot.

:shakes head:

E.P.

Reply to
Ed Pirrero

It's hilarious.

And his son was stuffed at that price too. But then who'd go to a BMW dealer for an *oil change* ????

That's about $300 !

Even Mobil One synthetic ( most ppl reckon it's the best ) is 'only' around $60 per 4 litres ( about a US gallon ).

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore