99 A6 - 75K Mile Service and Timing Belt

My 99 A6 has 71K miles on it.

75K service is due soon. The dealer does the service. This will include the timing belt. Their estimated price is $1800.

Any thoughts on not having this done yet?

Looking for success and failure stories.

Thanks...

...Mike

Reply to
...Mike

I had my '98 A4 V6 - same engine as yours I think - done at 73K miles for under a grand at an independent Audi shop. That included new water pump, tensioners and thermostat. So the $1800 quote seems a bit high even for the dealer. Failure of the TB will almost certainly cause extensive engine damage because of the interference design where the valves will "kiss" the pistons if the cams stop turning. I'm assuming your quote includes the ancillary items that should be changed along with the TB like the water pump, etc. The reason is that failure of these other items can trigger failure of the belt, they require almost the same extensive labor to perform and you can be almost certain that the water pump will fail before you have to do the TB again. To sum up, you're at the mileage where you should have the TB, etc service done. I'd just consider having it done at an independent shop that specializes in Audis.

Reply to
Ian S

Correct. See my post under "2.5 TDI longevity".

Regards

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Morton

"...Mike" wrote

Good advice from Ian. Have it done ASAP, but not necessarily at an Audi dealer.

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete