Info for swapping ('96 A4) stereo?

Okay, so I got a replacement OEM stereo for my 96 A4. Anybody know where I can get instructions for swapping it out without cracking the console cover into pieces? I don't do that much work on the car myself, so I'm not sure it's worth buying a complete shop manual. Any special tools involved?

And yeah, I know I have to get an authorization code from a dealership to make the unit work...

Thanks in advance,

Alan Brooks

Reply to
Alan Brooks

Real easy job, remove the stereo, you need 2 x stereo pullers, but you can get away with using watch makers screwdrivers if your careful :)

Remove the stereo, remove the wires off the back.

Insert new stereo, if you buy an aftermarket one make sure you buy a new ISO loom for it, costs approx 20 quid and you will need a separate loom to power the rear speakers, cost approx 17 quid, I have one spare if you want to buy it :)

Check the yellow and red wire are not reversed as normally the stereo will stay on when you remove the key, if the stereo does stay on, reverse the cable.

Job done :)

Reply to
Ronny

Just so you know, you do NOT have to remove the console cover, unless you want to change the aircon unit.

Reply to
Ronny

Stereo pullers... Those are the guys on 144th Street late at night, right?

Seriously, thanks for the information. I didn't know it was so simple. There are a few auto parts stores around here (upstate New York), so I'm pretty sure I can get the puller tools.

Thanks again,

Alan Brooks

Reply to
Alan Brooks