Question about spark plugs for '96 Cobra

Anyone know more about this?

My manual calls for :

AWSF-32EE plugs with cylinders #1-4 suffix EG and cylinders #5-8 suffix E

I'm assuming the 2 different plugs have something to do with heat ratings.

Well, I'm buying new plugs from Ford MotorSports and their computer calls for:

AGSF32FM plugs (all 8 cylinders)

Does anybody know why they changed? I'm curious to know if it was a beancounter thing (like the strut brace they axed in '97) or if it's for some other reason. Any performance differences?

Thanks in advance to anyone that knows.

AR '96 Mystic Cobra #333

13.76 @ 104
Reply to
MYSTIC SVT

Believe it or not, Ford saved about $0.02 per plug. Reason is that on a DIS car the coil packs basically have a positive and negative polarity, the plugs are platinum on corresponding sides to last longer. Using platinum on both ends of the plug would increase cost and serve no benefit. You can't even buy the spark plugs that are originally installed at the factory. When you replace them you'll get plugs with plat at both ends.

Reply to
Jim Chodrick

Umm... When I bought the plugs for my car, they came with two different part numbers on them. They were visually identical (yea.. I know..)

Now this is a true blonde moment. I thought they were just from two batches and the part numbers had changed.. I just stuffed them in. Did I fugg up?

Kate

98 Cobra

| > My manual calls for : | >

| > AWSF-32EE plugs with cylinders #1-4 suffix EG and cylinders #5-8 suffix E | >

| > I'm assuming the 2 different plugs have something to do with heat ratings. | >

| > Well, I'm buying new plugs from Ford MotorSports and their computer calls | for: | >

| > AGSF32FM plugs (all 8 cylinders) | >

| > Does anybody know why they changed? I'm curious to know if it was a | > beancounter thing (like the strut brace they axed in '97) or if it's for | some | > other reason. Any performance differences? | >

| > Thanks in advance to anyone that knows. | >

| > AR | > '96 Mystic Cobra | > #333 | > 13.76 @ 104 | >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

Possibly.... all the replacement Motorcraft plugs I have come into contact with are double platinums.... both ground and centre electrodes have platinum tips.... or single plats with only the centre electrodes having platinum tips. My experience here in Canada shows that the original type 'PG' and 'PP' plugs are unavailable. IIRC, the right (passenger side) cylinder bank is the positive side and the left is the ground side in the wasted spark systems.

I see mostly COP systems at work anymore so now I'm starting to get stupid (well, more stupid) about all that ancient stuff..... this coming from someone that used to change points and condensers for a living....

Reply to
Jim Warman

Thanks Jim, I'll have to look into this further.

Fortunately, they aren't that hard to pull (except those TWO under the strut tower brace)

See, this is why I like this group, I learn a LOT

Kate

| > Now this is a true blonde moment. I thought they were just from two | batches | > and the part numbers had changed.. I just stuffed them in. | > Did I fugg up? | >

| > Kate | > 98 Cobra | >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

Thanks Jim.

Leave it to the Bean counters. They never cease to amaze me. On the other hand, I've heard they did this to almost all of the production cars in 1996. Multiply $.02 by 4, 6, or 8 times multiplied by how many vehicles were produced and you have quite a chunk of change. I wonder though how many cars needed plugs early though due to improper installations. Anyway, thanks for the info.

AR '96 Mystic Cobra #333

13.76 @ 104
Reply to
Tekfabllc

Well, I looked into it a bit, I don't find any reference to my car using different plugs in different slots... my hubby remembered that it was the old plugs that were different than the new ones (part number) si I think all is cool.

Kate