Radio use with engine off

Hello All

I have an '03 A4Q 3.0 Sport, 6spd. Is it OK to have the ignition on without the engine running? I think I can hear the fuel pump running in this position. If this will eventually damage something like the coils, how can I listen to the radio with the engine off without an ACC position?

Thanks

Howard

Reply to
howitzer

Normally -using the original wiring- the radio works without the ignition on. With ignition on you hera the fuel pump but only for a second or so, just to build up pressure. Nothing happens to the electrical circuit.

Ronald

Reply to
reply

Just be careful Just be careful. I played my radio with the ignition on, but fell asleep, and four hours later, woke up to a dead battery , but I am sure it can be used for a little less than that without any problems.

HD

Reply to
HowdyDoody

Just press the radio's ON button (I think it's the same as the volume knob) to turn it on after you've taken out the ignition key.

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete

Yep. Ya beat me to it. That's the way it works on my RS6 and I'm betting newer A6s and A6s have the same feature.

RTM Dave

Dave LaCourse

Same on my S4 - and (to counter Mr Doody) it turns itself back off automagically after an hour or so...

/daytripper '00 s4 6spd, Symphony-Bose

Reply to
daytripper

I would imagine most Audis work that way, given that it is a common VW feature.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

RTFM. On my A3 the radio can be used without the ignition switched on, and it turns itself off automatically after 1 hour (no flat battery). Just turn the radio on after removing the key from the ignition.

Isn't it a standard facility throughout the Audi range? Presumably, however, that doesn't happen with non-Audi replacement radios.

Reply to
David Nesbitt

All new A4s (I have an '03 3.0 CVT) don't require the key in the ignition at all to listen to the radio. Just push the power (volume) button... the radio can be used for exactly one hour before the car automatically shuts it off-- just as it does with the map lights if you accidently turn those on... you CANNOT run down the battery in the car! I do the one hour radio trick whenever I wash my car; it always goes off like clockwork in one hour.

Reply to
Jay Jones

WOW! It worked! Ah, those Germans think of everything! Now I love my Audi even more! Thanks to all that replied.

Regards

Howard

Reply to
howitzer