92 535i purchase

Just picked up a 1992 535i with 110k miles on it. Looks to be in good shape. This is my first BMW car, though I do own a BMW motorcycle.

What would you do first? I've heard new relays, fluid changes, new water pump, new air filter etc... mentioned. Thanks for the help and advice.

Reply to
Carl Hollomon

Nice car, we have a '90 :-)

There's a good chance your distributor cap and rotor arm are original. I'd replace the rotor arm and check the dizzy cap for wear. When worn they cause poor mpg and lack of high rpm performance. You want Bosch single electrode spark plugs.

Water pump is likely OK. Good chance she has a LSD so be careful when buying final drive fluid that you get the right type.

Reply to
John Burns

Thanks for the advice. The E34 web site gave me the heeby jeebies on the water pump and the worse-than-death outcome if I let it go bad.

Reply to
Carl Hollomon