96 328i gauges

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give, I recently bought a 96 328i. I have no experience with bmw's but got a good price on it. It had some overheating problems that I traced to a bad thermostat and bad fan clutch. My next issue is the gauges, none of them work, I have searched the web and manuals to see if I can find a common problem but have had no luck. Is there common issue that would make all of the gauges quit? I have checked the fuses and have power for all gauges at that location. The car also has M3 behind the 328i on the trunk, what is the difference?

Reply to
custom78vette

Nothing "common" - but look for the bundle of brown ground wires behind the dash. Make sure they are secure to the bolt to the body.

The difference is - the the former owner was a WANNABE.. the M3 sticker/emblem is a sign of M3 envy. Your 328i IS a 328i, and isn't even close to an M3.

Reply to
admin

As someone who just moved from a well maintained, low mileage 1997

328ic to a 2003 M3 coupe, I can testify to that brother. There is little comparison.
Reply to
Jed