Battery reccomendations

The battery in my '94 540i is getting tired. I searched around looking for a Douglas battery (OE manufacturer for US) to replace it with and found that they have recently divested themselves of their automotive division.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with a good replacement for BMWs? I have always liked the "Interstate" batteries, but I am curious if anyone has used any of the others.

Realize that many of the brands used in Europe are nor available in the US and batteries are not an item one wants to have shipped, so looking for something locally available in the New England area.

Oh, also, the 540i takes a BCI group 93 battery which is a beast. It's one of the highest CCA batteries out there. Most of the other battery manufacturer's web sites that I've visited recommend a BCI group 49 (similar shape) for my application , probably because they don't make a 93.

Any experiences with group 49's? What CCA?

TIA,

Reply to
Fred W

I have an interstate in my e32 -- works fine.

Not sure which one I have -- but it's a beast too -- very long & heavy.

I paid about $90 for it.

It had a "similar" battery in there; but the wrong one... I noticed 2 things:

1) It drained after several days of sitting (it wasn't the battery; it's now in my truck) 2) it cranks much faster with the "right" battery....

Could be that the deisel truck takes less & the old battery really is tired; but I doubt it...

I've used DieHards in most of my vehicles with good luck too.

Josh Assing

When the battery in the e36 died a hard, tragic death NAPA was the closest salvation. Three years later the battery has performed like a champ even though the car has sat the majority of the last year from teenager inflicted injuries. (clutch) I still irregularly crank her and let her run for a few minutes and have yet to have to provide a jump.

Reply to
ReddDawg