Disco II TD5 Battery

Sounds of me trying to start the DII TD5 this morning. 6 year old battery, cold weather and a few short trips don't mix. B-(

So what is the generic battery type in a DII? Lots of sites say 072 but that only has 72AHr capacity the one in it (YDG100860) clearly says 110AHr on its label. Other references indicate 640X or 663. Bear in mind this DII has the "Winter Pack", heated seats, heated windscreen, etc so can apply a fairly hefty load.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I had one, it did the same, the battery is massive, around 110ah, they are a ton in weight & to buy!

Nige

Reply to
Nige

I'd go for the highest capacity one you can fit in the 'ole you have in the disco..

Reply to
Tom Woods

Pretty sure I have a pound you have some horseshit...

Had it on charge most of the day and it span and started with ease this evening. Went on a 15 mile drive (rather than the previous 5 journeys of 5 miles, engine only just getting warm by the end) and it has started just fine several times since. As I said old battery, several days of cold (night temps only just above freezing, days below 10C) and very short trips.

6 years is good for a battery, it's not a 633 though. They are 346mm wide, the hole it needs to fit in (without surgery) is only 330 wide... Is there a site some where that lets you plug in a physical battery size and spews out those within say 10mm either way?
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

OK Dave, we'll see.....

Hope I'm wrong, but.....

Reply to
Nige

On or around Fri, 16 Nov 2007 23:07:20 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice" enlightened us thusly:

No, but there should be.

You can get a 643/644 in a TDi by the skin of it's teeth and if you re-route the cable harness that runs around the end of the battery, I'm not surprised it won't fit in the TD5. Oh, and you have to vandalise the thing that holds the battery down as well, 'cos it's taller.

I take it you mean long, when you say wide, BTW. Most of the larger batteries seem to be the same width.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Is there a table of sizes anywhere? The coding is a POP...

Battery Council International is the organisation that produces the codes which specify voltage, dimensions, terminal layout and type.

Of course if you visit the BCI website they want money for a copy of the "BCI Battery Replacement Data Book" which contains the relevant information. Not sure how that fits with their mission statement "Battery Council International is a not for profit organisation with the mission to promote the interests of the international battery industry".

There is a table with a few of the BCI numbers and sizes reproduced in many places on the web but that only covers light vehicles not commercial or heavy.

The British Battery Manufacturers Association web site is being "redesigned" and is effectively a waste of space. Why a "redesign" stops the old one still being online is interesting, one can only assume that there wasn't an old one.

According to tayna.co.uk those are still 346 wide. I don't think that'll fit by about 10mm.

There is quite a bit of adjustment available in that but how high you can go under the cover that covers the jack and a electronics module is another matter...

B-) Depends which way you look at it. I'm using "Wide" as the dimension in the axis of the terminals, "Depth" would be the same plane but at 90 deg to the terminal axis (front to back) and "High" is from the base to the top.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Go to

then download and unzip the last item on the list - "Catalogue". It contains quite a bit of useful stuff - applications, dimensions, charging, general battery know-how. If you're really trying to squeeze a battery into a space, you need to know where exactly the tight spots are: for instance, many batteries have ribs low down on the ends for securing brackets, and these may or may not cause problems. Different manufacturers also quote different performance for the same physical size, and then there are several standard tests for CCA (Cold Cranking Amps), so you can't compare one that quotes an SAE test with one using, say, DIN. Watch out also for terminal configuration - Discoveries are "1", which means positive on the near-left.

Yuasa (aka Lucas, Tungstone, Crompton, Oldham) recommend the 086 for a Disco 2 diesel - 650CCA (SAE), 130RC, 278x 175 x 190h, which is a slightly higher CCA, same RC, slightly higher Ah compared to an 072, half an inch longer, same width, bit lower, bit lighter.

Guess who's trying to postpone the evil day with his Range Rover 300tdi battery. Yes, I know it's still cheaper than a tank of derv, but batteries should last for ever

Reply to
Autolycus

On or around Sat, 17 Nov 2007 14:06:39 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice" enlightened us thusly:

battery from above:

___________ |+ -| ^ |o o o o o o| wide |___________| v

from the side

+_________- ^ | | | | | tall |___________| v

The reason for this is that there are only about 3 widths (in practical terms), and many lengths. for example, 643/644 is the same width as 069, but longer and taller. 663/664 is the same width/length as 643/644 but a bit taller still, IIRC.

063 is the same width as 069 but shorter length.

and so on. There are more than 3 widths, but several of them are only a mm or so different so they generally fit anyway.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sat, 17 Nov 2007 19:33:47 -0000, "Autolycus" enlightened us thusly:

I daresay you can get a 643/644 (I keep typing that, the difference is the terminal layout and I forget which it needs) in that, which are generally a good bit cheaper, especially if bought from farm supplies places.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Good document that one, now if I can extract the numbers from the .pdf without having to do it manually I might have a go at a web application to list battery number from given size/tolerance.

75AHr, that is a lot smaller than the Delphi Freedom 19001340 (Land Rover YDG100860) 110AHr that is currently fitted. That has an RC of 195min and "CCA(-18C) BCI 800".
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I've just run it through "pdftotext -layout" and it might be usable, the tables could be captured with sufficient furtling. Rather you than me though! Zapped across to your email address.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Thanks, arrived, a quick look indicates a bit of editing to remove the ordinary text then a search and replace on multiple spaces to a separator character should more or less do the trick. The tables are just long lines, turn off wrapping and it's a lot more readable. B-)

Guess I'm going to have to code it now... It'll be basic rather than fancy.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

There does appear to be some odd formatting sometimes, it looked like some tables began halfway across the text file, were hard-wrapped, and continued on the following line. I did also create a version without formatting but while most of the tables were OK, those that had asterisks in the columns to mark whether a feature was supported or not didn't work too well as you'd get say four asterisks in a row without any sign of it actually being 8 columns with only four asterisks rather than four columns with four asterisks.

Rather you than me!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I wish... A 644 is about 65mm longer, and there's a mysterious bit of gubbins with yellow-sheathed cable running to it bolted to the battery tray which limits the available length. I associate yellow-sheathed cable with things that go bang, so I don't really want to try moving it. It's also getting on for an inch and a half taller, which might been I have to strap the bonnet down at that corner (and watch it melt). An

072 it shall be, or an 078 if innate meanness prevails.
Reply to
Autolycus

Basic I like, Fancy takes too many brain cells and they're now in short supply!

Reply to
GbH

How did it go again?

Reply to