BMW 540i 1995

HELP!!!!! my girl friend had her battery replaced in her 540i. While inputing the security code for the radio she accidently input a Start blocking code instead(i am not sure how) now she cannot start the car, (although she did get the radio code in) can anyone suggest a way she can disable/reset the start-blocking feature without a trip to the dealership. Would disconnecting the battery reset the OBC ?? Thanks in advance. H

Reply to
hdingo1

On older cars disconnecting the battery from ten minutes to several hours would clear the codes (and all other memory).

Not sure this works on newer cars.

I once managed to set a code to xCxx by accidentally pressing two buttons together - disconnection was the only way to clear this.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

You can block starting the car from the radio? I think these BMW engineers are cuckoo if they design the car to have this feature. Are you sure the battery post is firmly seated and tightened? Does the starter turn?

Reply to
yaofeng

Where it is all combined, you can set the code from the screen.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

So what now I put in a non-bmw radio in my 540 not requiring code? Does it make the car go crazy? Or it makes BMW hopping mad?

Reply to
yaofeng

No, not from the radio, from the OBC.

Just have your girlfriend unlock the car from the OBC using the same code she entered and then delete the code so it won't do it next time.

It's all covered in the FOM.

Reply to
Fred W

No not from the radio. that is the mistake, she put the some part of the radio code into the OBC instead of the radio itself and now cannot remember what part she put in which activated the start-block feature for the ignition. H

Reply to
hdingo1