BMWs and iPod Classics

When we test drove a BMW 381i Touring (wagon) I took along my iPod which stopped working after one song. The salesman said they were incomparable with BMWs and suggested I get a newer iPod like a Touch. This was very bad news as the iPod classics are much bigger than the new ones and I need space because I put wave files on my iPod to get the best fidelity.

We ended up getting the sports version of the 381i, with a better sound system, and my iPod seemed to work. However, on a recent road trip, the iPod finally started disconnecting.

Fortunately, there was a fix for this, rebooting the iPod by holding down the middle and menu buttons at the same time until the Apple icon appeared. I had read on the internet that this would work, though for some people, it only works for a day. I had to to it twice on a three week road trip.

The car also comes with a hard drive, but the hard drive only takes compressed files. The sound system also takes USB sticks but there seems to be no way to use Shuffle (random) with a stick.

Actually, I can't figure out how to use Shuffle with my iPod but if I set it to Shuffle before plugging it in, that seems to work.

Reply to
really real

the hard drive is also (very) limited in song capacity : some 12Gb for

2500 compressed songs maximum. I have no problem with an iphone, and theoretically an ipod classic has the same 30 pins interface so ? there should be an audio input beside the usb input under the driver's arm you can use it with your ipod, but you will loose the ability to skip tracks on the steering wheel.
Reply to
jeanyves

My iPhone works fine on bluetooth, but bluetooth sound is compressed.

Plugging in an iPhone directly is no better than plugging in an iPod Touch. They only hold 64gb

An iPod Classic holds more than twice as much, 160 GB.

I actually use modified iPod Classics that hold 240 GB because someone puts a bigger hard drive into them. You can buy them on ebay

Reply to
really real