car respray?

can any of you guys give me a rough idea of how much it would cost to get my e34 535 resprayed? It's currently a faded red and i'm considering having it resprayed black cheers

Reply to
FairKop

"FairKop" wrote

IMO, you won't be satisfied with the results, as it's hard to hide all the original paint (in the body seams, etc.) and it's more complicated because to do any kind of adequate job you have to dismount all the doors, hood and trunk (boot) lid.

In the US, it costs around $250 per panel - that's $2500 or so - although for the whole car you can probably get a discount especially since they don't have to match colors.

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

Well, yeah - and inner and outer trim pieces, windows and rubbers, and on and on - to do it right and proper.

But that's every-day work in a good body and paint shop. It's simply a matter of finding a good shop and paying good money for a good job. And those that seek to short-cut a good job into a cheap job will reap the whirlwind...

/daytripper '00 s4 6spd

Reply to
daytripper

That's incredible value if it's for a decent job. I always thought manufactured goods were cheaper in the US than UK due to economies of scale - but painting a car is mainly labour. In the UK the benchmark is

300 gbp per panel. With a complete respray *in the same colour* starting at 2000 or so, assuming no damage to repair. What sort of labour rate would a spray shop charge? Round here it's a near universal 30 gbp per hour.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'd really not change the colour unless part of a total car restoration as it's impossible to paint under the bonnet properly without stripping everything out. Same round windscreen rubbers, etc. You'd do better to put the cost towards sourcing a similar car in the colour you want. However, spraying in the existing colour should be satisfactory if well done as the under bonnet paint and other parts not exposed to the sun don't fade.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote

That figure is an educated guess on my part, based upon repairs I've had to have done over the last few years (none my fault, btw.) The actual figure may well be higher, because to do a good job you'd have to mask and/or disassemble some things. Labor rates here are around $50 - virtually the same as UK. Now that I think about it, you could add a couple of "panels" for the bumpers, too.

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

I agree. You'd be much better off respraying the original color.

Besides, everyone knows red is the fastest color!!

Just ask the LEOs ;-)

Reply to
Fred W

I live in the US and the original owner of my 525 recetly had his 540 repainted the original colour. The initial estimate was $4550 USD but the shop settled for $3500 cash.

In contrast, his new 1965 Shelby Cobra replica cost $13,000 to paint. (Raw aluminium body from Kirkham Motorsports)

Last year I paid $5,500 for a complete colour change on my 1969 Karmann Ghia. EVERYTHING had to be removed!

Best of luck with whatever you deceide to do.

Reply to
Homer

Or very close. After vandalism, I had a bronze 735i resprayed in gold (as close as I could get). You could tell under the bonnett and similar places that it had been done, but externally you couldn't. Despite it being a cheap job with relatively soft paint, nearly ten years later people still spontaneously complimented me on the quality of the car's paintwork! This was despite of no special treatment other than an occaisonal £5 wash and wax at a hand car wash.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

Are you repraying because the paint is faded or becuase you want a black car? If just because it's faded (and not needing body work also) you may want to consider restoring the paint. I bought a system from GlossHaus which enables almost anyone to restore dull paint to a beautiful shine.

Buy the kit, spend a day working on your car and it will be transformed. Here is the website:

MarkD