E39 ignition swtich problem

Hi, Im having the problem with things going off intermittently (radio and steering wheel functions etc) and then suddenly working when switching the car on/off a few times.

After searching this group its quite clear to me that its the ignition switch.

Could anyone tell me

  1. How much is the ignition switch (roughly)
  2. How much labour is involved.
  3. Could I do it myself, and if so how.

Thanks a lot

daver

Reply to
daver

OK, I managed to resolve this myself.

1=2E The part was about =A331 2=2E It took me about an hour and a half, but with the correct tools probably about half an hour (I didnt have a small ratchet so had to use Tbar which was really tricky to get into the t bolt). 3=2E Yes, I done it myself. - Disconnect battery. - Remove all the casing (top and bottom makes it much easier) - Then undo the T30 torx screws (I had to go out and buy one of these). One is at bottom of ignition column, one round the back holding the piece of plastic which stops the ignition switch coming out. - Take out ignition switch - Place new one on, turning key in ignition so it lines up. - Do it all in reverse

Hope this helps

Dave

Reply to
daver