How do you retract a deployed roll bar M3 Convertible?

990 M3 Convertible had the roll bar automatically deploy. How does one retract the bars?
Reply to
fliplewis

*I think* that its a dealer job to get them wound back down. *Big* springs involved!
Reply to
TonyK

One opens the owners manual and looks for the description of how to retract them. There is a tool in your toolkit in the trunk that releases the lock, then you have to press them down REALLY hard to get them to retract. The tool is a U shaped piece of metal about 8" long..

Reply to
admin

I stand corrected, page 58... maybe I should RTFM more...

Reply to
TonyK

You REALLY must have scared the crap out of that car for it to deploy the rool bar(s). Those bars are tied into the We're All Gonna Die circuit ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Was that circuit installed in the E-30 series cars? Reason I ask is I did 1 1/2 complete spins today on the turnpike after a truck in front of my lost his oil pan and soaked the road in oil (BIG truck, 18 wheeler). Puckered my ass big time. I am proud to say that the car is unscathed except for the slight crease in the drivers seat. Not a pleasant experience to see the world go around like that at 80+ MPH... Would have been a much easier ride if I hadn't had to miss a bouncing oil pan...

Reply to
Psycho

The We're All Gonna Die detector is a feature of convertible cars.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Deployment depends on the 'angle of attack' maybe. On mine (a CLK cabrio) the roll-bar deploys when going over speed bump too quickly (maybe the sensitivity is set by the govt to keep speeds down...). Fortunately resetting does not require a dealer.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Gotcha... I needed a CHECK PANTS light at the end of the ride...

Reply to
Psycho

There's a great moment on 5th Gear when Vicky causes the roll-bar to deploy while taking an SL around the track. They bleep the words out (at least, over here), but you get the impression she was somewhat startled. :) epbrown

-- "Everybody wants a normal life and a cool car; most people will settle for the car." Chris Titus

2003 BMW 325i Black/Black, 2003 BMW Z4 Black/Black
Reply to
E Brown