Humming noise from the back of the car?

Was just wondering if anyone knows what a humming noise from the back of the car could be? I only hear it after shutting down, and it can only be heard for 10 seconds or so, which means I never get a good chance to locate it exactly, but I can hear it's from the rear. Sound like a pump (?) summing for a short while, but not always...

Car = BMW 528 Touring 2000.

Cheers

Reply to
ma.ericsson

schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@r29g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...

US based car? Carbon Fuelvapour filter or feul pump.

Euro based car, Fuel pump.

Erik

Reply to
Erik

If you have the self-leveling suspension (all US tourings came with it)

- there is an air pump inside the spare tire well (under the spare) that may run for a few moments after shutdown.

Reply to
admin

Look for a drunk passenger or the mother-in-law under the seats.

Reply to
hsg

Only if it's humming "Moon Along the Wabash." Does this car have pneumatic suspension by any chance?

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Could just be the antenna. Are you new to this car??

Reply to
Jack

The painted on antenna on the rear window? It hums? Amazing.

Reply to
admin

Have you checked to see if Bill Clinton and Monica have hitched a ride?

My guess is that there are ventilation system flaps that are operated by a motor or by vacuum, and you are hearing these flaps close. I would not give this issue another thought ... (and I'll try not to think of Monica either .)

Reply to
Jeff Strickland