left engine running too long!

I foolishly left my engine running on my 528, it could have been over an hour,when i got to it the engine had cut out and now car won't start. Anyone got any advice? thanks Demi

Reply to
demi369

If the battery's dead, charge it. If it isn't, you might have to replace the fuel pump.

Ulf

Reply to
Ulf

Fill the tank?

Reply to
Fred W

This is hilarious. If there is nothing wrong with the car, filling the tank would be the only logical thing to do.

Reply to
yaofeng

The Left Engine?

Me thinks you need to pull codes ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

???

How is the engine idling for an hour any different (from the perspective of the battery or the fuel pump) than driving for an hour?

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

In addition to the previous posters:

By does not start do you mean that the engine does not spin when you try to start it...if so: Did it overheat? Run out of oil? If so it is toast.

If it does...I'd really look into the gas situation as mentioned earlier!

Reply to
zamboni30000

Whatever stopped the engine is coincidence unless the aux cooling fan is toast which they often are. With it working idling forever shouldn't worry the engine.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

thanks guys looks like ulf was right it was the battery. funny thing it's anew battery , should it have gone flat with just the engine idling?

Reply to
demi369

It didn't idle for an hour or else it wouldn't have "cut out." I assumed she ran out of gas, and with the lights, stereo, and whatever on the battery could easily have gone flat in that time. Also, in-tank fuel pumps do not like being run with an empty tank since they rely on the fuel for cooling.

However, if there's fuel left the pump should be alright, but so should the rest of the car.

Ulf

Reply to
Ulf

Normally not since it has a vast alternator. If you'd left every possible electrical load on I suppose it's possible.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Read the post again. It doesn't say anything about a "left engine".

Reply to
Fred W

True, but check the wording of the subject, Fred. ("left engine" as opposed to right engine!)

Tom K.

Reply to
Tom K.

I am just wondering what his engine was doing on his 528. I thought they came with engines of their own...

;-)

Reply to
BBO

Take it to a dealer. It's obvious you don't know what you are talking about going by your description.

Reply to
Russ

As mentioned before, your troubles began AFTER the engine stopped running, leaving the battery alone to power stereo, lights, AC, etc. Until it gave out.

Lem Johnson

Reply to
Lemuel Johnson

Tell your dealer that you drove it into a flood and he'll give you a new engine.

Reply to
Jack

If the alternator could not keep a charge on the battery at idle, you ought to have the alternator checked out. You could find youself in the same situation if you are caught in a bad traffic tie-up. However, most modern charging systems ought to be able to cope even at idle.

Reply to
tww1491

fuel?

a.