No clutch in E36 320i

'92 E36 320i M50 engine.

Parked at night working fine, next morning clutch no decouples and gears do not engage with engine running.

The force and feel of the pedal is as usual. With engine not running is possible to engage gears.

Ideas?

Reply to
Yuki

"Yuki" wrote

Slave or master cylinder failed, or oil leak is keeping the clutch plate, pressure plate, and flywheel connected.

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

The later seems more likely, I suppose that any hydraulic problem will change pedal's feel.

Just towed it to the stealer.

Thanks.

Reply to
Yuki

Check the power steering fluid level. Look under the car for a big puddle of red fluid from a broken clutch line. Look at the slave cylinder while someone presses the pedal and see if it's actually moving.

If it happened abruptly, it is more apt to be a hydraulic issue than a mechanical issue with the clutch itself. But a sticky clutch is possible.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Check fluid reservoir - if low - refill.

Might be more complex than that - leak, need to bleed etc.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

It's possible that the clutch disk is simply 'stuck' on the transmission imput shaft and won't slide away from the flywheel when you depress the clutch pedal. I had this happen to me on a Toyota pickup once. The fix: Put the transmission in high gear with the engine stopped; push in the clutch pedal and start the engine. This should break it loose.

Reply to
Jack