reset the oil light on a 2001 525i

I decided to change my own oil on my 2001 525 Bemmer after the dealer informed me that it would cost $169 to have them do it. I don't know about you but I think a buck sixty nine for an oil change is outrageous! Don't you agree? However, I can't get the oil change light to turn off and the dealer is keeping it top secret for my own benefit. Duh! My benefit? I guess this is what I get for doing my own oil change. It's not that I don't trust them but I've been burned in the past with dealers not getting it right or over tightining the plug or filter and leaving me stranded in who knows where with a blown engine! I'd just as soon handle my own oil change! Unfortunately I haven't been able to find that diagnostic plug-in where I can turn this thing off! Does anybody know where it is located and what the proceedure is to perform this task?

Robert King

Reply to
rlking

Oh dear - ignition on when draining the oil?

Plug in looks like a military connector with a screw top, usually fairly obvious when bonnet (hood) open. You need the oil service reset tool to uncludge it.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

Or, take pin 7 to ground for 3 o4 4 seconds. Google is your friend. You don't need to spend $50 or so just on the oil (or service) light reset "tool."

If you're going to spend money, then at least spring the extra for the tool that gives you the ECU fault codes readout.

Reply to
Dean Dark