resetting 'change break pads'

how can i reset my computer for the 'change break pads' error?? Car is a 525i 24 valve from 1991

thx

Reply to
Ludo

Replace the sensor wire on the brake pads. When the pads wear the wire gets cut through and sets off the warning.

Reply to
John Burns

You can't because there is no "change break pads" error. OTOH, if what you are referring to are "*brake* pads", there are two sensors of a sort, one on the front axle and one on the rear that are really just small filaments that *break* when the *brake* pads get worn.

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

Those are BRAKE pads, not break pads.

When the pads are replaced, there is a little sensor on one of the front brakes and another one on one of the rear brakes. You have to replace these sensors.

The sensor looks similar to a fuse, and what happens is that when the pads wear down, the "fuse" is opened by friction against the rotor. While servicing the brakes, you will notice that there is a wire leading to two diagonal tires, and two wires leading to the other set of diagonal tires. The tires with two wires are the ones that have the speed sensor. The one wire is the Speed Sensor that tells the ABS what to do, the other is the brake wear sensor.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

sorry for the 'break', it was 'brake' my english is not that good.

i have replaced the sensor, but still get the message on the dashboard. Is it possible that the sensor is damaged?

Reply to
Ludo

Have you replaced all of the brake pads, or just those on the front or rear axle?

There are two sensors, the other one is on the diagonal tire from the one you already replaced. As I said in another post, the sensor looks much the same as a fuse -- it is a very thin band of steel that is fitted over a small plastic block. When the pads wear down, the block and band of steel come into contact with the brake rotor, and the band is grounded and this turns the indicator on. The indicator eventually breaks and must be replaced to turn the indicator off. If you didn't look at the new sensor very close, you might have not noticed that it was already broken, in which case the indicator would remain on. Or, you could have mounted the new sensor in error, and the metal band is already grounding out, which will leave the indicator on.

If you only replaced one set of brake pads, the problem is likely that the other set of pads also needs replacing. This is where I'd be looking first.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

i only replaced the front brake pads. i'll go see at the rear pads tomorrow or so thx

Reply to
Ludo

On some, the warning light doesn't re-set immediately. Try leaving the ignition on without starting the engine for a few minutes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)