The problem with anti-lock brakes...

The guy behind you doesn't have them... and he's talking on his cell phone and fiddling with his radio at the same time.

I have a scratch on my rear bumper now.

Reply to
Ivan Marsh

Don't blame the brakes from yesteryear for the idiot that is not paying attention.

ABS does not solve inattentiveness, and a moron on the phone is likely to scratch the bumper regardless of him having ABS or not.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Really?

Sorry if I displayed a sense of humor about it.

Reply to
Ivan Marsh

A couple years ago, I was rear-ended by a woman who had ABS. She did not actually apply her foot to the brake when approaching the red light, and the vehicles that were stopped at the red light were in her way. If the brake pedal is never pressed, ABS is not effective.

The woman in question was applying her makeup in the rear view mirror and smeared it badly during the accident. She refused to come out of the vehicle for the police officer until she had removed all of her smeared makeup, put new foundation on, and completely made-up again. I gather she probably did not fare well in court.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

About 20 years ago I lightly touched the rear of an Orion on the M1 after I was distracted by a warning light (low petrol!) despite ABS*. I was so embarrased I paid for it myself rather than claim on the insurance. Mostly light clusters on his and IIC a bumper insert, but a whole load of headlamp wipers etc. on mine.

More than I would in the circumstances.

  • "you canna change the laws of physics" McCoy.
Reply to
R. Mark Clayton