Tires

So, the 2002 came with 165-13 rims, which were okay until I could no longer get 165-13 tires. That's when I replaced them with some newer rims from (I think) a 328, which take 195/70R14 tires which were fine for a long time.

Now I'm finding it difficult to get anything in 195/70R14.... I really liked the Goodyear F-1s but they don't make them in that size any more. The Aquatreads were okay, a little hard and a little skittery on grooved pavement but okay. But, they don't make them in that size any more. So I went with the Michelin Hydro-Edge, which wasn't bad. But, although they claim to make it in that size, they don't actually ship any and they have been backordered at the distributor since November 2009. So, I tried a Sumitomo tire, which was discontinued almost days after I put them on.

Is it time for me to change rims again. If so, any recommendations?

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

A 215/45x17 is a direct replacement of the 195/70x14s that you have now.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland
195 is the tread width, sorta. It is really the cross section, but when 195 changes, the tread width becomes narrower or wider depending on which way the change is. It is safe to call 195 the treadwidth, however this is technically not accurate. But I digress. The number is a measurment in millimeters

70 is the percentage of the tread width that equals the sidewall height. This number is referred to as the Aspect Ratio.

And, 14 is the rim diameter, in inches.

You have a relative narrow tire and can easily accomodate a little more width if you observe the offset of the rim. If you have too little offset, the rims will allow the tire to stike the fenders, too much and the rim can collide with suspension components. Measure offset back of the mounting surface to the centerline of the wheel. An easier measurement location would be from the back of the mounting surface to the edge of the rim, but that is not the way they do it for some reason. The result is the same, but the measurement is different. If the measurement is to the centerline, then a relative narrow rim width and a wider rim width can be compared because the change in a 7" rim to an 8" rim will put the additional 1/2 inch on each side of the centerline, and an offset of 40, for example, will remain a constant. One method of measurement results in offset, the other gives backspacing. You tire shop will be able to confirm this, or set you straight. Either way, it is an important consideration to keep in mind.

You have a 195, and I suggested a 215. The difference is 20mm, which is about 3/4 inch. It is actually a little over 3/4 inch, perhaps closer to 7/8 inch. A 215/45x17 is a very common tire size that should be around for a long time. It is the standard size tire on the Scion tC from the early years (I'm not sure if the tC is still fitted with that size or not.)

I do not know what the width of the rim is that you have now, but a 215/45 should fit onto a 7JJ without any trouble. Rims are designated 7JJ, 7.5JJ,

8JJ, and so on, to denote the width. I think, but am not certain, that JJ is the shape of the bead area, and this is for all practical purposes the standard used for USA-destination cars. So, if your current rim is a 7JJx14, then a 7JJx17 will be a direct replacement. All you have to match is the offset. Again, your tire professionals can help you alot with this.
is an excellent resource, by the way. They might even have the various fitments for your car already loaded into a spreadsheet...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

165x13 - very common size.

Within reason you can use wider tyres on the 14 inch rims (see posts from Strickland), BUT make sure they will fit in the wheel arches.

You could move to 15" rims and lower profile, but now the ride will be getting hard and the cost will go up.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

Here are 15...

L G

God Lord, you are stupid.

Reply to
dizzy

Why? 17mm is 3/4inch, 3mm is about 1/8inch, 3/4inch +1/8 inch = 6/8inch +

1/8inch = 7/8inch. Off of the center, the increase in width is a mere 3/8inch (10mm). With proper planning, he can take his 14inch rims to a 17inch rim, take the 195 to a 215, and end up at the end of the day with a tire that is identical in overall diameter as he has now, is a little wider and has a lower profile. I see nothing but a win here, and for as stupid as it sounds to you, I'll take it.

Lots of people look to a lower profile and a larger rim, and they like a wider tire. Given the size he says he has now, a 215 should fit easily. I don't know that it will, but it should, and is worth asking the guy at the tire shop where this question should have been asked in the first place.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland