1981 Camaro - High Idle Problem???

Hello,

Hoping that someone here can help me out with my question and offer a solution??

We have a 1981 Camaro 4.4L, 267 V-8 engine ( the small "gas saving 8 cylinder of the early 80's" ), that we have had garaged for a few years now, that we are trying to restore.

Anyway, the car was very hard to start when the cold weather arrived in November and December, and it always took like between 6-15 cranks to start it during the winter months ( we are located in the northeast U.S. ).

We took the car to a mechanic who supposedly only fixes GM cars and trucks, and told him how the camaro had no problems starting up in the warmer summer weather, but was very hard to start in the colder winter weather.

So, we have no idea what he did, but now whenever you start the car, and the engine has not run for about 20 minutes or more, you start it up, and the engine idles real "HIGH" and LOUD for about 2-3 minutes and then you have keep stepping on the gas and rev the engine every couple seconds, so that it idles at a normal level.

I can't like this, and want this fixed!!

You go to start up the car, whether you are at the gas station, grocery store, shopping mall, in your driveway, etc, etc, and you have to sit there in the car for like 3 minutes, with the engine idling super high, fast, and loud, revving the engine every couple of seconds, to get the thing to idle normally!!??

We then took the car to two other mechanics, and they both looked at it, and said they have "NO IDEA" what he did, or how to fix it!!!!????

Does anyone have any ideas, theories or suggestions, of what this guy did, and how to fix it?????

Any info. will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Reply to
MICHELLE H.

Take it back to the "mechanic" and ask him why he set the fast idle speed so high. It appears not to be set correctly as it should idle up (maybe

1500-1800 rpms?) when cold and slowly come down as the choke pulls off during warm up.
Reply to
lobo

Thank you for the suggestion about the "fast idle speed" being set way to high. Somebody else also suggested that we bring the car back to him so that he can fix it. The problem is, the guy already screwed the car up, so we just don't trust him. He may be a so called "GM" expert, but who knows if he knows anything about Chevys!?

The problem is we just moved to the area a few years ago, and so we don't have a TRUSTED mechanic. We only took it to him because his ad in the phone book says "Specializes in GM vehicles".

Reply to
MICHELLE H.

If you are not able to learn how to work on the somewhat vintage car, I would suggest finding someone that "knows" carburetors. Most cars are fuel injected these days and the old guys have the carburetor knowledge.

Reply to
lobo