86 Z28

Does anyone know what the frame style is for an 86 Z28? I need to do some transmission work and someone told me I may need to remove the engine to remove the tranny because the car has a "K" frame.

Thanks

Reply to
justsomegeek

Trust me, it's not a K Car! What your friend was talking about was not a K frame but a K member. If you were to remove everything from the front struts on down to the wheels you'd see that it looks like the letter K laying down, hence its name.

To drop the tranny, disconnect the torque arm, transmission linkages (including from inside the car) drop the cross member (the thing the rear tranny mount attaches to, and you should be ready to pull it. Of course, you'll need to unbolt the thing from the engine and disconnect any wiring but that is kind of obvious.

Bear in mind one thing---if you do not have a lift, you must pull the motor, radiator, cowling, etc.

Reply to
James Alio

Thanks for the info. After all the worrying I did it turned out to be a leaking pan seal. i went to kragen and bought a kit for $20.00 and fixed it, no transmission droping/removing required. Now if i could only figure out how to re-set the clock.

Captain America