water gauge reading

My water gauge reading goes from 100 to 220 in 5 minutes. What does this mean?

Reply to
Anne1

You're overheating? If you want more, you need to tell us more.

Reply to
JimV

It depends. Does it stop at 220 or does it continue to rise? Mine (when running) rises pretty fast, but then bobs up and down around 220. Has to do with the thermostat and fans.

Reply to
Cy Welch

Are you saying you think *I* have a blown head gasket? I can assure you I don't (talking about my Camaro here). However, for the 5.0 engines a

5 minute rise to 220 is not something to get worried over if it stops at that level. And actually most of the times I have seen a car with a blown head gasket, the temp seemed to stay low (the sensor is often out of the water and so reads low) and you get the boiling and such of overheating when the guage says it's not. I can't say this would always be the case, but I have had two cars myself that did that.
Reply to
Cy Welch