1995 Sonoma driveshaft

Had all three u-joints replaced on my Sonoma. Now at 25-27mph it shakes like a massaging mattress. Same drive shaft so I have to believe it isn't out of balance. Or does it have to be balanced after installing new u-joints?

Gary

Reply to
gary

Sounds like it went back in out of phase.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Gary, I went down the driveshaft rathole this past spring. Doc, and I think it was Sam, set me straight on this one. Two excellent sources of info and assistance.

Have the driveshaft balanced. If yours in an aluminum shaft, the joints should have been pressed out. Mine is steel, but I made the mistake of beating out a joint, and put a small kink in the front shaft. Nothing monumental, but enough to frig it up. The shop was able to balance it up however.

Also had to replace the carrier bearing and the rubber bushing, etc. I learned my lesson on this one quick. Back in the day, they made driveshafts out of steel, not tin foil. I ended up having the shop pop out all the new joints, replacing them and the bearing, with a balance, for 100 bucks. WELL worth the $$$.

Then there was the speed sensor I screwed up, but we won't go there.........

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
Nobody