2002 s-10 fuel filter change

I am gonna order the GM service manual soon. The price is $135 and it is gonna hurt! ha. I see no easy way to bleed the pressure off the fuel line before removing the filter. Anybody know how? No wrenches for this filter...inlets and outlet are snap on. Also, wonder why it has 2 inlets? I sure need that book now. Was thinking about pulling the fuel pump relay and letting it run out of gas, but don't want to mess up and throw a code or something else. Thanks Pete

Reply to
Pete

Mike Levy

Pete I bought a set of CDs on ebay that has complete service manuals for the past 5 yrs on all GM vehicles. I see a couple sellers still have them for around $30. The first of this year, GM discontinued them and went 100% online access. I recall periodically there was to be an update on DVD but if your vehicle is less than 5 yrs old the CD set may be an option for you. They work best with Windows 2000 but I found they do run on a XP home machine.

Reply to
DonW

Reply to
Sigwings

I tried this with my 94 S-15 Jimmy, the FP fuse also ran the ECM, this truck had a handy fuel pump connector behind the rear bumper that I could unplug and it would stop the pump. I never experienced changing the filter in my 2000 S-10, and I think my 2006 Grand Prix now has a filter in the tank only, I was just looking for it. The owner's manual shows a dedicated FP fuse (or maybe it's a relay) on the 2003 S-10, it's in the under-hood fuse block. Pulling the relay MAY not work, the FP gets its signal from the ECM while the truck is running, the ECM will cut power when oil pressure drops below a certain point.

Reply to
Mike Levy

No, the oil pressure dropping will not do that. Any late model GM vehicle with any sort of fuel pump circuitry running thru the oil pressure switch doesn't work this way. It actually works the other way round. If the relay fails, then you get another path for the fuel pump thru the oil pressure switch. But if you lose oil pressure, the engine will stay running. The circuitry thru the pressure switch is simply a backup to the relay.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

That's a little counter-intuitive. I guess it's done this way in the event the OP sensor fails and always reads zero causing the FP to cut out? I'd rather have that happen than continue to get fuel flow when I really DON'T have oil pressure, especially now I have a car with no oil pressure gauge, but it's obviously more important to know the tranny temp vs. knowing the oil pressure in my Grand Prix.

Reply to
Mike Levy

Just wrap a rag around it, make sure your drop light isn't going to get splashed with gas, wear some glasses and take it off. It isn't THAT much pressure.

Reply to
Shoe Salesman

I think it's very intuitive......there may have been a few cars that were set up this way.....but I see no reason to cut off your fuel because the oil pressure sensor says you have no oil pressure. I think the problem is that some (or a lot) of folks have noticed that there is a circuit running thru the oil pressure sensors for the fuel pump and assumed that it must be to shut off fuel when you have low oil pressure. If they looked just a little bit closer at the wiring diagrams, they would understand why it's not so.

I don't see what's so important about trans temps in a car. I'd rather have an oil pressure guage.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

maybe you don't. GM does

Better look a little closer it will shut off fuel when you have low oil pressure or none like in a car crash Ford went with that thing you have to reset after a bump what you are seeing is how to start a car when it has no oil pressure works for a few seconds only If the relay goes out it will start but not till it turns over enough to bulid some oil pressure no oil pressure no start

Spud

Reply to
Spud

Sorry Spud, Ian is right. the fuel circuit through the oil pressure sensor can not kill the pump. It's just a backup circuit in case the relay fails. Bob

Reply to
Bob

I think I would too. My 5-button info center (got it for the trip computer) includes a tranny temp gauge. Only 4 gauges on the dash, speed, tach, fuel level and coolant temp. I wish I had an oil pressure gauge, but I'm pleased with the car, it certainly wasn't a deal-breaker to have it.

Reply to
Mike Levy

Thank you, you just proved my point. But of course, you probably don't realize it.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai