99 express side door hing problem

Hi everyone, My side door on my 99 express van has been giving me problems for years. It has the double side doors and the rear one binds up and won't even move. I've sprayed just about every type of fluid you could think of on the hinges, but if I did get it to open and close better, it would only last about a day. Then its bound up again. One of these days the hinges are going to rip of the door frame. In order to close it, I close it as far as I can and then pry it backwards with a 2 x 4 to get the hinges closed more. Then I can close the front door. All the other doors work fine and have never been lubricated. I know 3 other people with the same problem. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Reply to
Charles

Charles, I have a 95 van with the "barn doors" on the side and rear. The side ones work OK but the rears are stuck like yours. What I did was open the doors all the way, then use a small drill bit to drill through the hinge and into the pin in the moving hinge pieces. Then use a good cleaner to clean the hinge and spray it in the holes. Then move the doors around to clean as much crud out of the hinges as you can. Then spray some more cleaner in and repeat till the crud stops. Now buy one of those pen style "Lock deicers" that also has graphite lube in it OR just find some other spray on style lube that has graphite OR Teflon in it. Spray this into the holes and work the doors back and forth to spread it around inside the pin area. I did this on mine and it has kept them free for about 6 months now.

The other option is to remove the pins and clean off the rust/crud and use a grinder to put a flat area on the top and bottom of the wear area and use it to lube the pins. I think I may pull the pins and drill out the bushings and replace them with a Teflon liner in mine as a permanent repair.

Reply to
Steve W.