99 S-10 clutch

Hi All,

Taught a young lady how to drive a stick in my S-10. Of course, no good deed goes unpunished and later the dealer installed a new clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, pilot bearing and slave cylinder. The new clutch felt good and started locking up about 1 1/2 inches off the floor.

I'd been driv1. no air in the lines

  1. clutch master is fine
  2. no adjustment is possible (anyone remember the days of adjustable mechanical linkage (sheesh))?)

How about it folks -- anyone know of a possible fix on this?

Ben

Reply to
Ben Trower

(old-man-style-driving)

Possibly the arm for the through out bearing is off it's pivot. Or the bearing isn't sitting on the arm correctly.

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

99 S-10 clutch Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Fri, Jul 23, 2004, 9:59am (CDT+1) From: snipped-for-privacy@HillValley.org (Ben=A0Trower)

Hi All,

Taught a young lady how to drive a stick in my S-10. Of course, no good deed goes unpunished and later the dealer installed a new clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, pilot bearing and slave cylinder.

The new clutch felt good and started locking up about 1 1/2 inches off the floor.

I'd been driving the new clutch for six months or so (old-man-style-driving) and the clutch started to lockup closer to the floorboard. It's now starting to lock up about 1/2" from the floor.

Fluid level was ok so I took it to the Chevy dealer th1. no air in the lines

  1. clutch master is fine
  2. no adjustment is possible (anyone remember the days of adjustable mechanical linkage (sheesh))?)

How about it folks -- anyone know of a possible fix on this? Ben =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Ben, Preliminary diagnosis indicates........ Further diagnosis is needed.

hey Ben..... sounds like it's time to enact the ole warranty clause of the repair order ....aye???

lemme see here now if i got all this down....

Dealer installs clutch set w/slave cyl. Clutch works GOOD for 6 months.

Clutch starts working poorly....

Dealer says..... NO AIR NO ADJUSTMENT GOOD MASTER CYLINDER

Well ......allllllrighty then...... that eliminates everything outside of the bellhousing area (except for you or anyone else that you let drive the truck) narrowing it down to the work that THE DEALER performed, or driving habits.

as a side note.....1 1/2 inches off the floor sounds like a low pedal to me.

MarshMonster ~hits the pipe~ =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Reply to
Marsh Monster

I guess I shoulda put 2 and 2 together when the mechanic said: How long ago ago did I do this - was it over a year? Then the service manager says, don't worry about it - it'll probably last 2 or 3 years.

I'm really not used to working with dishonest people. I thought the dealer would be the one place I could find competetent help (even tho prices are very high).

Reply to
Ben Trower

Reply to
Mike Powers