Battery Failure

Hello,

I have a Chevy S-10 2000 and we haven't had to replace the battery since it was bought new. The problem: Recently we took a trip and when we were ready to comeback I had to get a jump to start the vehicle. We drove for 2 days (stopping for gas and motel) no problem. 2 days later I crank it up to go to work and the battery fails again. Does anyone have any clue as to what may be happening?

Lance

Reply to
L. Lane

It might be the battery. Or, it might be some low level drain that kills the battery when parked for a few days. Try this....with the truck off, pull the positive battery cable and put an ammeter in series between the battery and the cable. You can also use a 12v light. If you get anything more than a very little current you need to find out what is staying on. Things like the underhood light or glovebox light are common culprits. But, if basics like this don't work, you may have something like a ground in the alternator. You will need to let an electical shop take a look. Mike

Reply to
Mike Copeland

On average, I usually don't see OEM batteries lasting more than about 2-3 years (and I work in a parts store).

Try the load test route, but be prepared to shell out the bucks for a new battery, and remember, with batteries, you get what you pay for (normally) - the more you pay, the better battery (construction techniques and materials) you get.

Jeremy

Reply to
Jeremy Chavers

You sell Interstate batteries, don't you?

Reply to
Steve Barker

Nope - and I'll never own one either. I actually prefer ACDelco batteries, as the last one I had went for 7 years, but when it died, I didn't have the funds to replace it with a Delco, so I got a good deal on a "used" battery (lady bought it 3 days before, took it home, brought it back in complaining it was dead, so we traded her for a new one and told her to bring the car back to be tested, charged the first one and it's been goin good ever since...)

I see *alot* of walmart batteries come back, but that may just be a market saturation situation - if you have millions and millions of something out there (except Chevy trucks..*g*), odds are a few thousand will go bad on a daily basis.....

Jeremy

Reply to
Jeremy Chavers

I've gone through a *ton* of walmart batteries in my '88 K2500... I went through a streak of about 8 until I got the one I still have... the others wouldn't hold a charge or just go completely dead (as in it started the truck fine, shut it of, then 0 volts w/ a VOM across the terminals). the one I have currently made it through the 23 days (in a row!) last winter of sub 0 weather, often at or near -15F. it never failed to start. alot of Wal-mart branded stuff seems to be really hit or miss (i.e. bulletproof or a complete POS).

HTH, Bret

complaining

Reply to
Bret Chase