Brake Controller (Tekonsha Voyager XP)

US-14-A just east of Lovell Wy 8 % for 4 miles (and that's the 'new' road)

UT-261 north of Monument Valley (1400 ft in 3 miles)

Reply to
TranSurgeon

Mike Powers

we've got a videotape here that Deb shot as we were heading up the west side of Wolf Creek in 92

it shows a semi with smoke rolling from all wheels

other fun spots we've driven:

east side of WY's Big Horns on US-14

Monarch Pass, CO (with a little old man and a little old blue-haired woman bearing down on your butt in a huge motor home)

the Beartooth Highway, although anyone who drives it for other than the sheer beauty needs a reality check

Ten Sleep Canyon (US-16, WY)........with the run-away truck ramp that has the 'Warning: Do Not Camp Here' sign at its entrance

Wind River Canyon, WY, after a thaw-freeze cycle (best driven an hour either side of noon in winter)

US-191 north of Vernal UT (10 switchbacks)

never did the Lewiston ID thing.........have to put it on our list of 'places that we haven't driven yet that'll pucker your butt'

Reply to
TranSurgeon

never gone over that one, however I've gone over Jellico mtn (1-75 just south of KY/TN line) more times than I can count.... tons of class 8 trucks doing between 10 and 20 at the top. it's a hell of a view though.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

My parents were on a road in Montana (sorry, don't know what road) that was something like a 4% or 8% grade that was a 60 MPH limit at the top and 25 at the bottom. Did that with a Durango and a 2,000 lb. or so pop-up. Started having squeaks right after that, that stopped when braking, he cracked 2 ceramic pads even with brakes on the trailer controlled by the aforementioned Prodigy.

Reply to
Mike Levy

The best controller you can get is one that taps into the hydraulic brake system. All of the electronic controllers use a force sensor and a pendulum that senses inertia. These are confused when you start to go up or down hills and can over or under brake when the hill is steep. You just have to anticipate what the controller is going to do. Personally I have a 23yr old K & H hydraulic controller that is many times better then either of the two other electronic controllers I own (have 3 tow vehicles) but some modern (vehicle) brake systems see the loss of pressure from the hydraulic controller as a brake system fault or the controller can have issues with ABS systems. So you are stuck, electronic is the only way you can go...

mark

Reply to
rock_doctor

Actually, Jordan makes a brake controller that isn't preset or inertia controlled. It works off of a pull-type cable (like bicycle brakes) attached to the brake pedal. Supposed to be as close to the old style hydraulic brake controllers as you can get. If and when I ever get one, I'll write about it.

Reply to
SpaseKase

There are controllers with a device you clamp over the brake pedal between your foot and the pad. They also work well. The electronic inertia style controllers are not very good. Wait, that's what started the "who has the steepest hill" discussion. :)

Al

Reply to
Big Al