Dome light stays on in 96 Chevy 1500

I have a 1996 Chevy 1500. We just noticed that the dome light(and side door lights) were on this morning before we opened the doors. I checked the owners manual and made sure we had not left the light control thumb wheel switch in the top position. Any ideas what might be causing the problem and how I can fix it will be appreciated. Thanks

Reply to
jplasater

This has not happened to mine..yet. I would start to check for a sticky relay. The lights are supposed to go out after about 20 secs after you close the door. Does the override button work? Mike

Reply to
Mike Copeland

Reply to
jplasater

Is your radio working? Seriously. I had an S-10 that whenever the fuse blew for the radio, the dome lights would stay on no matter if the doors were opened or closed. Just a thought.

Reply to
Sinecure

You are going to have to pull the switch connectors one at a time to see if there is a sticky switch. But, IIRC even if you leave the doors open all night there is a master time out relay. Sorry dunno which or where. But, I know there is a 20 second timer when you close the door after shutting it down. You may try "listening" for a relay that is trying to close. Or, start tapping the relays. I "fixed" an AC relay that way. Most of them are in the box on the driver's side fender well. Just tap them with a screw driver handle. Look at the diagrams too, it might give a hint. Also, try reseating the relay. Look for any corrosion on the contact legs. It is a simple circuit and there are only a few components here. Mike

Reply to
Mike Copeland