Engine won't turn over when hot (99 S-10 4cyl)

Starter or ignition or..........

Starts right up every time first thing in the morning or after it sits for awhile. After that, its 50/50 whether the starter will kick in. As if there was no battery at all. Turn the key..., nothing. Battery is fine. Anyone have any experience with something similar?

TIA, Frank

Reply to
F.H.

Most likely its the starter, but of course without checking for power to the starter when it does it this is just a guess :)

Reply to
ScottM

Thanks, thats the way I saw it. Problem is, its sitting at the mechanics and naturally, when he let it run for a half hour it wouldn't do it. With 120K on it we'll go with the starter and cross our fingers.

Reply to
F.H.

Only on my 04 Caddy DTS and my 03 Trailblazer in both cases turned out to be the starter relay. Both these vehicle you can bump the starter then release the key and the computer finishes the start. Probably not the same with your 99 S.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Best guess would be the starter solenoid.

Reply to
NickySantoro

These things were noted for having bad ignition switches, sometimes they work sometimes they don't.

Reply to
Doug Adams

There seems to be a lot of things that "sometimes work." With our 89 we had a problem with the exhaust manifold cracking, 10 years later (my friends 99) I see the same problem. As for the ignition, we'll soon see, its got a new starter. :)

Reply to
F.H.