Gas gauge

Hey guys, it's me again..

Still haven't gotten a new carb yet..

But I have another question. My gas gauge seems to show more gas when the truck is off, (and the key isn't in the ignition or anything) than it does when it's turned on. Shows bupkiss either way. I know I should have about

3-4 gallons in it now, (not that this would show up very well on the gauge) but I had about 8 gallons before, and it showed it on E.

Is there a quick and easy way to figure out if my gauge is busted, or if there's some float in the tank itself thats decided to go Pinto on me?

Reply to
Dan

It's an electronic gauge; of course it reads different with power and without. The year, make and model sure would be nice to know........

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

scribbled:

sorry about that. Since I have my "67 chevy truck" post i made about a month ago book-marked, (and therefore, the first post i see everytime I enter the NG) I subconsciously said to myself "self, people will recognize you! no need to re-hash what kind of truck you had"..

67 chevy truck is the year and model.
Reply to
Dan

Ok, that helps. GM's fuel tank senders still suck ass in 2004, so image how cruddy they were in 1967! Could be the sender, could be the gauge, could be that's just the way it is and everything is working correctly. If you're that concerned, I'd replace it with a purdy new Autometer fuel gauge + sender.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

scribbled:

thanks. Its not a big enough deal to me, as of yet, to worry about it. I just didn't know if maybe it was a simple smack of the tank to fix it.

Reply to
Dan

Dan,I've got a '69,had the same problem. Put out the Marlboro,fold the seat forward,disconnect the leed to the sending unit at top center of tank,Clean up the contact area and the wire or connecter.(Here is a good time to check and see if the gauge moves when you ground this wire momentarily with the ign.on)Re-attach the wire and check operation.Still no good ? Disconnect again and knock loose (counter-clockwise) the lock ring that holds the sender to the tank.Gently loosen and remove the sender.You may have a bad float which you can find cheap at an auto parts store.You can check operation of unit by re-attaching the wire,( with the ign.Off or well away from open tank)turning on ignition and move the float arm up and down while watching the gauge.Clean or replace the intake screen while you're at it.If the unit has messed up windings or obvious damage,get another at the junk yard.New ones are like $100 I think.Still doesn't work,trace the brown wire from the sender back along the door and up to dash.Make sure it's good.Only thing else to check is the gauge connection and the gauge itself.Hope this helps.It is kind of helpful to know when you're about to run dry. Brian

Reply to
Brian Orion

I find it hard to believe that GM can't produce a SIMPLE item like a gas guage that works. They sure look stupid on this issue.

V.B.

Reply to
vb

vb scribbled:

doesn't surprise me. my parents old station wagon (82) always read high till it hit halfway, and then low. My dads 86 'burban (he still has) shows low. So he'll think he has about an 1/8th of a tank left, or 5 gallons out of a

40 gallon tank. Then all the sudden at the gas station, the attendant will fill it and it's like 22 gallons to fill it.
Reply to
Dan

thanks, I'll do that tomorrow probably.

Brian Orion scribbled:

Reply to
Dan

Brian Orion scribbled:

The first thing I did was clean the connections. Then I checked the wire itself from the tank to the fuse box,. It's ok. The gauge (itself) Is fine, because I turned the ign on, w/out the wire being hooked into the fuse box, and it moved (to the point where i have 1 1/2 tank of gas..woo!) My next attempt will be to take the whole sending unit out, and check via your suggestions.

I'm hoping it's just a bad float, the cheapest thing to fix really.

Reply to
Dan