GMC p/u won't start

I can't find a newsgroup for GMC, so I guess this one is close enough. I have a 1991 GMC V8, auto. When it's very warm here (as it often is) after I drive the truck for 30 minutes or so and stop, and if the truck sits for longer than 10 minutes, it won't start. No crank, no click, no nothing - just like the battery's disconnected. If I pop the hood and wait 15 minutes or so, it starts right up. I've had the mechanic check and clean the electrical connections (from the battery to starter), even replaced the battery cables and connectors - but no dice. Any ideas? TIA

Steve McAlister snipped-for-privacy@stevesideas.com

Reply to
Steve

Hi!

One possibility is a starter that's getting saturated with heat and is becoming unable to work. If there was a heat shield around the starter, it may need repair.

You could also have a dying solenoid or starter motor, but these are somewhat less likely.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

Sounds like the starter.

Reply to
Scott M

Reply to
Bill

Check for a loose/dirty ground connection from the battery to the engine block (it's on a stud just below the passenger side cylinder head).

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"